MS Downloads of Dell Graphics Drivers?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by axipolti, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. And God knows MS has our best interests at heart.

    ;)

    Sparky Spartacus, Jun 14, 2005

  2. How about a Roach Motel? fred checks in, but he doesn't check out.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jun 14, 2005

  3. axipolti

    Ben Myers Guest

    Watch it! You've just insulted all the slugs in the world! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 14, 2005
  4. axipolti

    jess Guest

    And that's exactly why I tell everybody I know to TURN THEM OFF. You need
    to install them in a controlled fashion (including some application testing
    of critical apps) that you can recover from because eventually you WILL have
    to recover from one of them.

    jess, Jun 15, 2005
  5. axipolti

    fred Guest

    MS says to turn Automatic Updates ON! I say that the average user should
    turn Automatic Updates ON! It's a security issue on today's web. The
    average user has NO ability to determine "in a controlled fashion (including
    some application testing of critical apps)" whether a fix should be applied.
    The average user is MUCH more likely to have his computing environment
    compromised due to NOT having Automatic Updates on than any potential
    problems from an Automatic Update that causes a significant problem that is
    not easily fixable.

    For the sake of the individual user AND the general computing environment
    TURN AUTOMATIC UPDATES ON! Automatic Updates are now one of the early lines
    of defense from web/virus/worm/trojan attack from both the standpoint of the
    individual user and the net community overall!

    fred, Jun 15, 2005
  6. axipolti

    jess Guest

    What the hell do you expect them to say?!
    Tell this to all the people with screwed up systems from MS
    updates being turned on. And they haven't a clue about how it
    happened because it's all automatic and they never suspect MS
    has infected their system with a "fix".
    applied.

    In this case the security issue is the clueless user. I recommend they
    return their computer or get educated.
    Oh ya? I'm sure you have real numbers to back this statement up?
    For the sake of everybody get a clue. Automatic updates of virus
    scanning
    files is fine. Automatic and uncontrolled updating of your OS is high
    risk
    given their frequency and potential impact. The "average" user can do it
    monthly IMO. Making sure they have a current backup, a fallback/rollback
    plan,
    test plan, and document what they are doing to their system so that when
    something
    does crop up, they can retrace their footsteps to determine root cause.

    Now if MS could just fix the damn OS and plug up all these security holes
    they
    would save us all a lot of headache! If 6th grade hackers can find the
    security
    holes, why the hell can't all the overpaid geeks at MS?!

    jess, Jun 16, 2005
  7. axipolti

    fred Guest

    They're too hard to find because they are so few of them. The vast majority
    were helped and don't even know it.
    Now you've fully exposed yourself as a wacko.
    So where are you numbers and citations.
    NEVERLAND...are you gonna Mikee invite us over too?
    The holes are being plugged faster than they're being exploited.

    fred, Jun 16, 2005
  8. axipolti

    jess Guest

    I guess the "Let me tell you 'bout a man named "fred" " thread pretty much
    sums you up.
    Later Bozo!

    jess, Jun 17, 2005
  9. jess wrote:

    Oh, they could; but that's not a priority at MS. The geeks are all
    working OT cranking out shoddy new product.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jun 18, 2005
  10. LOL! Thanks, Ben.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jun 18, 2005
  11. axipolti

    tom.bradford Guest

    I tell ya what...I work at Dell (please don't hate (all of) the
    techs..we try REAL hard to help everyone as much as we are allowed to)
    and we started getting slammed with this problem. At this time, I am
    having an argument with a buddy that says the Windows Updates ONLY
    occur on the second Tuesday of the month. However, this problem started
    before then. He won't believe me without a MS knowledge base article. I
    have been unable to find one predating June 14th. Has anyone else been
    able to find a KB article from MS on this issue? Thanks for the help!

    Tom

    tom.bradford, Jun 21, 2005
  12. FWIW, here's another example of "SP2 Broke Something" that's only been
    fixed _yesterday_...

    File Date: 2005-06-20
    File Category: System and Configuration Utilities
    Supported Devices: Dell-Notebook System Software
    Release Type: Utility
    Dell Version: A18
    Vendor Version: 3.11.0
    [...]
    1. Fix for Infrared transfers that stop working upon upgrade to
    Windows XP SP2.

    William P. N. Smith, Jun 21, 2005
  13. axipolti

    S.Lewis Guest

    At the risk of roaming off-topic, it should be noted that SP2 will kill
    Gateway 500S (P4/DDR) desktop systems; a very attractive bsod upon the first
    required reboot.

    I've worked on two of these systems (separate owners) and could find no way
    to get the machine to accept the install. The only thing I did not do was
    flash BIOS on them, as they otherwise worked flawlessly.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 21, 2005
  14. axipolti

    snert Guest

    Heresy! MS doesn't break things!! It must have been something somebody
    else did cuz Bill is great and he hath spoken and sayeth go forth and update
    little sheepies. Be not afraid. SP2 shall saveth you from hethen virii and
    worm.

    snert, Jun 21, 2005
  15. axipolti

    Hank Arnold Guest

    --
    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Jun 22, 2005
  16. axipolti

    snert Guest

    no, I think I'll stick around and annoy you Hankie Wankie...

    snert, Jun 22, 2005