MS Expecting To Lose Money On Xbox Beyond 2008?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by PS3, Apr 17, 2004.

  1. PS3

    PS3 Guest

    this is from the newest business week:

    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_16/art04_16/0416_88covsto.jp

    some reactions on message boards to this

    quote:

    "Dammit. MS is not losing enough money! Quick launch Xbox 2 now!"

    quote:

    "The data was provided by Sanford C. Bernstein & Co.

    You'll find a case study of theirs or two on Microsoft's own site."

    quote:

    "From this graph the goal of Xbox program was clear; its sole purpose of
    existence is to hurt SCEI by taking away market shares and not allowing SCEI
    to recoup its investment, and MS will do everything in its power to continue
    to hurt SCEI, profit be damned."

    "This is not a joke. SCEI is going up against an opponent with a bottomless
    bank account, a vastly superior development environment, and a long history
    of successfully eliminating its rivals. SCEI can't possibly hope to recoup
    its CELL investment against a rival willing to lose a couple billion to make
    sure CELL fails...

    It's kind of strange that it will be PSX3 that will be forced out of market
    even though it is Xbox Next that's actually losing billions....

    Bill Gate's Kill List :

    WordPerfect
    Apple Macintoshi
    Lotus 1-2-3
    IBM OS/2
    Novell Netware
    Palm Pilot
    Netscape Navigator
    SCEI PlayStation3(TM)"

    quote:

    "sweet. maybe Microsoft will have the fucking BALLZ to put twin VPUs
    (graphics processors) and 1 GB memory in Xbox 2

    I mean, if Microsoft is allegedly putting in THREE fuckin CPUs, they can at
    least marry that with TWO graphics processors!"

    PS3, Apr 17, 2004

  2. PS3

    PS3 Guest

    PS3, Apr 17, 2004

  3. Last I checked, the first four weren't dead at all, and actually
    had very loyal users. The last isn't even on the market yet.

    Not the market leader != Killed.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Apr 18, 2004
  4. PS3

    Mr Burns Guest

    "WordPerfect
    Apple Macintoshi
    Lotus 1-2-3
    IBM OS/2
    Novell Netware
    Palm Pilot
    Netscape Navigator"

    Good reasons they got culled.

    Word was better than WordPerfect

    Apple Macintosh - http://www.assq00.dsl.pipex.com/mac.wmv

    OS/2 Warp - Vastly over complicated code, ok truer 32bit than Win95 -
    however it was slow, clunky and as stable as someone with a split
    personality

    Novel Netware, they nailed it themselves. Price and interopperability
    issues - IP for example, I had the misfortune of supporting netware,
    nightmare

    Netscape, why pay for something when IE does what I want and for free

    Mr Burns, Apr 18, 2004
  5. Netscape is free, I am running 7.0 in Linux, with a free email account too.
    I like it better then Mozilla.
    It is certainly a lot better then MS internet exploder, with the Netscape
    tabs you get very good handling of different webpages at the same time,
    easy to select, and exploder does not even run on Linux, so what use is it
    for the future.
    JP

    Jan Panteltje, Apr 18, 2004
  6. Bill Kill:Volume 4

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo, Apr 18, 2004
  7. PS3

    Mr Burns Guest

    You make the assumption that Linux will replace Windows?

    excuse me whilst I just go change my pants, I appear to have wet these ones
    ;)

    Mr Burns, Apr 18, 2004
  8. Sorry to hear you have NS shares.
    JP

    Jan Panteltje, Apr 18, 2004
  9. Why? I've got Mozzy 1.6 and NS7. Mozzy seems slightly better to me,
    especially with the popup blocking and better cookie/site handling.
    Oh yes, love the tabs. After getting so used to them, IE feels
    terribly clumsy when I have to open more than a few sites.

    The little lost angel, Apr 18, 2004
  10. PS3

    Chris Martin Guest

    Netscape isn't even close to IE anymore. I don't say that because I
    necessarily like IE a lot, but AOL has managed to screw up Netscape so bad
    it's incredible. I was a Netscape Communicator user until the version after
    they were purchased by AOL. After that one came out and summarily sucked
    badly, I switched to IE and have only looked back to test next version after
    that one, and find out that sucked too. The first couple versions of
    Netscape after AOL purchased them were memory hogs and had serious stability
    issues as well from what I found, and I was running them on a 1.8 Ghz 256MB
    RAM PC. AOL also didn't do Netscape any favors by not following through on
    their promise to distribute a version of AOL with Netscape included as the
    default AOL browser thus keeping Netscape in a lot of homes that use the
    default browser that comes with their AOL account.
    Netscape had a lot of extremely loyal users even if their market share
    wasn't that large compared to IE when they were purchased by AOL. However,
    AOL managed to do what Microsoft couldn't in their wildest dreams, pretty
    much kill off Netscape and hand almost the entire rest of the market share
    to IE. Looking back, I still have no clue what AOL was doing buying Netscape
    in the first place, it's not like they did the company and their product any
    favors. (Of course the same could be said for the entire AOL-Time Warner
    merger being an absolutely dumb business move.)

    Chris Martin, Apr 18, 2004
  11. Better for what? As a Windows app. early WP did fall a bit short but you
    could still do real word processing with it. If you liked eye candy I
    guess Word was for umm, you?
    The guy's only an editor ferchrissakes. Ironic that everything he says
    about crashes, reboots, hangs is precisely how PC/Windows is perceived.
    Fortunately not everyone agrees with what you personally want to do... and
    if you think it's free... look again! If you paid for Netscape you were
    seriously misinformed.:) Netscape is/was free though has been surpassed
    by Mozilla which *is* free.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, Apr 18, 2004
  12. Well obviously I do not have the latest version of exploder, but Netscape 7.0
    you have never tried I am sure.
    Give it a try, www.netscape.com.
    But I only use the web part, not the news and AOL or whatever else is in there.
    I wrote my own newsreader, NewsFleX.
    Netscape does not fail on any site I have been too, including flash etc..
    real-audio plugin, java.. only thing I am missing is a quicktime 6 plugin, but
    that is up to Apple.
    Although I have plenty of political reasons not to want to use exploder, the
    main reason is netscape tabs in MS windows are so easy, and netscape also runs
    in Linux, so I am used to the same interface.
    The thing is rock stable, although it has crashed twice since I have it.
    It automatically reports bugs, so what more do you want.
    For something that is free it is a great gift.
    JP

    Jan Panteltje, Apr 18, 2004
  13. The last mozilla I used, last year, had some really strange problems.
    But I removed it and dunno what the version number was, but there was
    some reports in the newsgroups about a fix, so yours is probably OK.
    JP

    Jan Panteltje, Apr 18, 2004
  14. PS3

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Early Word DID out-do WP by presenting an easy to use WYSIWIG word
    processor. Of course since then Word has mutated into such a bloated
    beast that it barely resembles a word processor anymore.

    Say what you will about Microsoft, but in this case, they actually did
    have the superior product at the time.
    Ironic? Most people look at me weird when I tell them about computers
    that *don't* crash or need rebooting once a day/week... They've become
    conditioned by the computer industry to expect crashes and unstable
    programs. While the early versions of MacOS weren't very stable, it
    quickly improved with each successive version. The same can't be said
    about Windows. Win2k and XP maybe a lot better, but still don't come
    close to MacOSX or Linux.

    I found OS/2 tons more stable than Windows. While a single misbehaving
    Windows app required you to reboot your entire machine, under OS/2, it
    didn't bother the OS at all. People used to say that OS/2 ran Windows
    better than Windows did, and it wasn't an exaggeration.

    Unfortunatly, OS/2 suffered from a higher retail price and fewer OS/2
    native apps. It could run many Windows applications (Office among them)
    but it wasn't 100% compatible with every DOS/Windows program.

    Doug Jacobs, Apr 19, 2004
  15. PS3

    chrisv Guest

    Try Firefox. Works great, for me.

    chrisv, Apr 19, 2004
  16. PS3

    RusH Guest

    ask Samsung, Novell, IBM, SUN and others

    Pozdrawiam.

    RusH, Apr 19, 2004
  17. WP6Win was half-baked as a GUI interface; WP7 fixed most of it that from my
    POV - a shame they took so long that many had already been borged... by, in
    hindsight, unscrupulous marketing practices. Both WP6 and WP7 did a good
    enough job of the font presentation and it was still more useful for
    serious work... from my persepctive.
    Superior for their vision of a GUI - maybe.
    Did you not see the video? Admittedly another fool who can't get his Mime
    types right - had to use IE to see it - but I thought the irony was clear
    and seems to be reflected in your opinions above.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, Apr 19, 2004
  18. Netscape was free to download. I admit it took a while on a 28.8, but
    there was no reason to pay if you didn't want the CD.

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 19, 2004
  19. PS3

    Khee Mao Guest

    ....as if Sony doesn't have deep enough pockets?!?!?

    Khee Mao, Apr 19, 2004
  20. PS3

    Cherko Guest

    Try MyIE2, it's an IE enhancer that gives you tabbed browsing, among other features.

    http://www.myie2.com/

    Cherko, Apr 20, 2004