    Any thoughts/opinions on this (things I should consider)?

    Thanks for the help. This is a great newsgroup.

    Pat

    Pat, Aug 8, 2004

  2. Pat

    Tom Almy Guest

    The retail version is eligible for upgrades. Dell doesn't give software
    support for using any applications. Best bet, if you are eligible, is
    the Student and Teacher Edition which can be installed on several
    computers. There must be a student (or teacher) in your household and
    the software cannot be used commercially.

    Tom Almy, Aug 8, 2004

  3. Pat

    Molly Guest

    You might find discounts on the item with school opening soon. You can
    always purchase on Amazon.

    Molly, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Pat

    Chopperdad Guest

    That is exactly what I did last year after ordering my Dell 8300. I had no
    need for the Productivity Pack that came with the Dell so I picked up a
    Office 2003 Student and Teacher edition and installed that after
    uninstalling the other.

    Chopperdad, Aug 8, 2004
  5. There is no difference between Dell's OEM version and a retail version.

    You can reinstall Dell's version, legally, on any computer made by Dell.

    Dell doesn't provide support for software beyond helping you to install
    software provided by Dell in the factory install and Windows service packs.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar aka Rocky, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Thanks. I didn't realize you could move OEM software. That's good to know.

    Based on that, I guess I'll go the OEM route.

    Pat

    Pat, Aug 9, 2004
  7. Pat

    Rhett Rhame Guest

    I was curious if anyone knows how to back-up / make a hard copy of MS
    Office Pro 2003 that comes pre-installed on a laptop?
    Of course, Dell includes everything else that I need on 4 CDs in event of a
    reinstall of the system; however the Office Pro 2003 software is not
    included since it was an add-on software item that required a separate
    activation.

    The difference is it calls for a OPK (Open Product Key) which is only about
    20 characters versus a CD Key which is 25 characters that comes with a
    stand alone version.

    I apologize if I am missing something obvious here, but I can not figure
    out where the files are on the hard drive that I should copy in event I
    need to re-install everything in event of a clean install.

    The people at Dell told me that I needed to request a media copy of Office
    Pro 2003 at the time of purchase (which would have been a different price)
    if I wanted a hard copy of it. Of course they did not mention that at the
    time of purchase.

    Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

    Rhett

    Rhett Rhame, Aug 26, 2004
  8. Pat

    WSZsr Guest

    In my experience, Dell has always included installation CDs for Microsoft
    Office. What system did you purchase and when?

    WSZsr, Aug 26, 2004
  9. IF for some reason, the copy of Office Pro 2003 that was installed on your
    Dell, was bought not as an Retail or OEM version but as a Microsoft Open
    License version to take advantage of a companies Microsoft volume pricing,
    then it normally does NOT come with media by default.

    When Microsoft Open license software is purchased, all you're really getting
    is a piece of paper from Microsoft that is basically just a documented
    license. On that document from Microsoft, there will be a couple of numbers
    you will need. One number is an (forgive me, I'm trying to remember this
    from memory) authorization number, and there is also an agreement number I
    think.

    If you can get a copy of the Microsoft document, and can get those numbers
    from it, you can order your own media kit from Microsoft for about $25.00

    If indeed it turns out that your copy of Office is a Microsoft Open license
    version, you can also (with those two numbers from the document), go to a
    special Microsoft web site (eopen.microsoft.com I think), and enter those
    two numbewr and view the license agreement on-line. it will indicate who
    actually bought the license, how many copies were bought, and it will also
    provide a link to click on to retrieve the install key for that copy of the
    software.

    If you buy the media kit, it will not come with any install key codes. to
    use those disks, you would have to buy the license, use the numbers from the
    license to go to the eopen web site, to look up the install cd key to use.

    Timothy Drouillard, Aug 28, 2004