MS Reader 2.5 TTS Problems

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Frustrated Tablet Users, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. I have been using MS Reader now for the past 2 years, so far I have
    had relatively good experiences with the program. However on
    installing v2.5 for the Tablet, to my chagrin, I discovered the TTS
    feature was locked on a default reading speed. In attempting to
    correct the problem, I have:

    - Changed voice speed to alternative positions.
    - Reinstalled TTS add-on for MS Reader.
    - Installed MS Speech SDK 5.1 voice pack.
    - Searched the registry for independent keys for v2.5 speed references
    (none found).

    Finally I resorted back to v2.0, resolving the TTS reading speed
    issue. Yesterday, I received an application update notice, proceeded
    to download desktop update, but somehow MS Installer detected the
    tablet PC platform and the installation was prematurely terminated.
    Interestingly though, one can install the v2.5 update for Reader v2.0
    but not v2.0 update for Reader v2.0 on the tablet platform.

    In summary, one can either:
    A.) Run v2.5 with update, not having ability to adjust TTS voice
    speed.
    B.) Run v2.0 without update.

    Could Microsoft please issue a fix for one of these three bugs?

    Thank you,

    Jason

    Frustrated Tablet Users, Jul 5, 2003

  2. Frustrated Tablet Users

    Chris H. Guest

    Are you running the Windows version on the Tablet PC, Jason? There are two
    different versions. It sounds like you've mixed the versions. The Tablets
    are different, and require this version:
    http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/tablet.asp I suggest you use a
    Restore Point from System Restore to go to a point where the install was
    "pure" and then download the 2.5 Tablet version. Install with nothing else
    (especially your anti-virus) running in the background.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Jul 5, 2003

  3. Heh. I wouldn't hold your breath. In a perfect world, stand in line.
    Slew of other Reader bugs that didn't make it into the new "update".
    Platform flux app.

    Workarounds, best bet. I've had to "make do" in many areas.

    1. UI is good on Tablet PC, not so much per Pocket PC. But then that
    battle long been lost. Even loyal to the core ‘First Church of Windows
    Mobile’ slash ‘Cult of Pocket PC’ers’ use Palm Digital Media as main
    eBook reader. And Desktop? Do be serious.

    2. Performance isn’t good. Tho they somewhat fixed the intense-images
    memory leak bug. And reference material searching is horrid. Has
    immersive down pact, but its no TomeRaider, per se.

    3. 3rd party toolsets (Overdrive) never in sync with Reader versions.

    4. DRM5 killed them. By the time they realized and upped the quota, it
    was too late. The glitch over 2000/2002 Pocket PCs, being locked out,
    didn’t help things much either.

    5. Platform flux. It’s nowhere, in a no mans land. Tossed around from
    group to group. No one at Microsoft much cares, seemingly.

    6. Zero promoing of Tablet PC, as the perfect eBook reader. Always
    wondered why zero mention of this concept. eBooks are what got me
    interested in the Tablet PC in the first place.

    7. Latest release for Pocket PC is NOT XIP. Wanta waste 2.5 meg of
    handheld memory for mainly a security update? I think (if lucky), oh
    maybe half a dozen people will install on their Pocket PCs.

    8. New Summertime free eBooks promo. Nice, but interest level is
    hovering at just above nil.

    But hope maybe, Tablet PC push and Longhornistic march might churn out
    something. eBooks overhyped as a "replace paper" thing. Not that at
    all. Intensive reading on small-screen Pocket PCs is near-impossible.
    And until Tablet PCs grant better battery life and get more immersive,
    still problems there. But some sort of digital Reading concept, will
    be so very obvious in the future. As will be Tablet PCs themselves.

    Chris

    Christopher Coulter, Jul 6, 2003