    what I can make out the MSI has a quieter cooling solution.

    TIA

    John

    John M, Jan 19, 2004

  2. John M

    Granulated Guest

    MSI have had excellent and quiet coolers on their cards for a while now.
    They also have an excellent bundle...however..it's still the same bloody bundle
    as a year ago ! (morrowind..ghost recon..duke nukem, and a load of other crap)

    Granulated, Jan 19, 2004

  3. John M

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Very quiet cooling system on the MSI cards. Does the one you are looking at
    have the big, copper HS on both sides? That is the one I have and it is
    super quiet. When the fans spin up all you can hear is a very low hiss. It
    is almost imperceptible.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Jan 19, 2004
  4. John M

    John M Guest

    Yes, that's the one. But I'm beginning to have concerns about its size
    v my motherboard. I've got a Soltek KT400c- anybody know if I'll be
    OK?

    TIA

    John

    John M, Jan 19, 2004
  5. John M

    Courseyauto Guest

    I have a GAINWARD non ultra 5900 model ULTRA 1300 and it is very quiet,cant
    even hear it at all. it overclocks very nice,mines at 850/950 and it can go
    higher.
    DOUG

    Courseyauto, Jan 19, 2004
  6. John M

    Albert Guest

    The HS is copper colored. I recently got the MSI 5900 SP version. Come
    to find out... it has slower memory and is clocked slower than the
    non-SP version. It seems that SP=XT for MSI.

    Have a great day,
    Albert

    Albert, Jan 19, 2004
  7. There have been no issues with my graphics card and it's quiet and puurdy, too. Be ~very~ sure you have a PSU
    with plenty of grunt, else there will be problems, as with any high-end graphics card.

    Tony.

    --
    3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

    To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

    The Black Wibble, Jan 19, 2004
  8. John M

    Darthy Guest

    No problems on my ATI... My last 6 cards were Nvidia. Not a peep from
    my ATI9800Pro. Sounds like a PSU problem... which would be effected
    by many of todays video cards.
    My friend has a MSI 5900... It has the same fans as the Ultra
    version... and IT IS SILENT! I mean SILENT... especially compared
    to my Ti4200. I cannot hear the 5900 in action.

    Here's screeen shots: http://ap.terrabox.com/rpc/fx

    It's a beautiful and VERY HEAVY video card.

    One bit of warning - If you have an AGP locking Lever - it could be
    blocked by the HUGE heatsink! Remove the lever or when you have to
    remove the card, you'll need a screw-driver and hand-eye skills to get
    it undone.

    Darthy, Jan 20, 2004
  9. John M

    John M Guest

    I've got a 420w PSU- so I doubt very much if that's the problem.
    Anyway, with a bit of luck my new card should arrive today and I'll
    soon find out...

    John

    John M, Jan 20, 2004
  10. John M

    Albert Guest

    Don't we all just LOVE saying that!!
    Have a great day,
    Albert

    Albert, Jan 20, 2004
  11. John M

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Yes, that's the one. But I'm beginning to have concerns about its size
    It should be ok. It is about the same length as a Ti4600. You can still use
    the PCI slot next to it for USB connectors or FW. Not much room for a
    full-length PCI card though.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Jan 20, 2004
  12. John M

    Ed Medlin Guest

    I've got a 420w PSU- so I doubt very much if that's the problem.
    You should like it. I have had mine since it first came out as the NBox. I
    flashed it to a 5950U a few days ago. Core is now 550 and memory is at 1gig.
    Pretty nice performance gain in gaming. It does relax the core and memory
    timings a little, but most games like the raw speed. You might not want to
    do it on a brand new card, but once the new wears off, what the
    heck.......:) It can always be flashed back. I am going to run it awhile
    longer and see if there are any issues. Can't find any yet. If you ever want
    to give it a go, I will zip up the floppy and send it to you. Just drop me
    an email.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Jan 20, 2004
  13. John M

    Darthy Guest

    What 420watt PSU? pretty much ALL 420watt PSUs are generic from the
    same chinese company. They cost about $20 ($18~22) and in the real
    world, have a max output of 185watts. (Same junk company makes a
    "500" watter thats $3-5 more)

    Needless to say, a better made $30 300watt would smoke it.

    The more REAL 400 watt PSUs are rated 400 or 435(Antec) or 450watts.

    Here: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841

    Darthy, Jan 21, 2004
  14. John M

    Darthy Guest

    My new mail-order bitc-er bride should arrive today

    Darthy, Jan 21, 2004
  15. John M

    John M Guest

    Looks like its a "generic" PSU- but on closer examination its actually
    rated at 425w, and it cost UKP30 if my memory serves me well.
    However, good news is the machine has been perfectly stable now for 24
    hours, since fitting the new Nvidia card and removing the ATI shite.
    I'll certainly never stray from Nvidia again!
    Thanks for the above link- it does make interesting reading.

    John

    John M, Jan 21, 2004
  16. John M

    Darthy Guest