    Any suggestions anyone?

    Many thanks

    Simon.

    Simon, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Simon

    John Guest

    This usually means that you have an interrupt conflict between the sound and
    HDD, the HDD usually have a very high priority and interrupt the sound. When
    you had individual cards, it could usually be fixed by shuffling the cards
    around in the various slots. Make sure that you have the latest drivers. Do
    you have APIC (or is it ACPI?) turned on in the BIOS as this provides
    another layer over the BIOS interrupt system. If your BIOS asked "PnP OS
    installed" Try NO which means that the BIOS allocates interrupts and YES
    which means Windows does it, They often use different parameters. HTH.
    John.

    | Hi,
    |
    | I've just built a cheap and cheerful system around the MSI 6378.
    Everything
    | seems fine apart from the on-board sound which is distorted (crackling)
    | badly whenever the hard drive is accessed.
    |
    | I've tried different drivers and even a complete re-installation of
    Windows

    John, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Hi John,

    Thanks for that. I'll give it a go. I did try and change the IRQ but both
    seem to be fixed in XP but I wonder whether this is tied in with the "PNP OS
    Installed" option you mention.

    If it fails, I suppose I could just disable the sound and stick a cheap card
    in.

    By the way, does anyone know how to disable the onboard video?

    Cheers

    Simon.

    Change _RED_ To BLUE to reply.

    Simon, Dec 22, 2003