MSI-6378 V3 No display when OS boots

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Simon Elliott, Jul 10, 2004.

  1. I have an MSI-6378 version 3 (BIOS, I think, 3.2) based machine with a
    problem and would appreciate advice. I saw it working earlier today
    without a problem, before bringing it home and connecting it to my own
    screen, keyboard etc.

    The problem is that when the OS finishes initialisation the screen goes
    blank. I can see the regular startup messages and can enter the BIOS to
    change settings without a problem. Control is passed to the OS boot
    loader and again I see the display(s) I would expect to see. It's only
    when the OS starts (and presumably a graphics mode change) that the
    screen goes blank.

    This occurs with both the installed WinXPP and a Knoppix CD. At the
    point I would expect to see either the XP signon screen or the Knoppix
    screen manager, the monitor goes black. HDD activity continues as the
    startup process continues but of course the machine is unusable.

    The monitor works ok with my test machine and I've checked and rechecked
    its connections. I can boot to a regular XP safe mode without a problem
    and if I boot Knoppix I see a Knoppix screen for about half a second if
    when turn the machine off.

    Assuming some kind of BIOS incompatibility I returned to the failsafe
    settings, with no success. I'm assuming the problem is some kind of
    BIOS-related issue but cannot figure out what settings require changing.

    Any suggestions?

    Simon Elliott, Jul 10, 2004

  2. Advice still welcome, but I've managed to bypass the problem by starting
    Windows in VGA mode.

    I'm still not certain what was wrong and have other issues (BSODs) to
    deal with. If I can figure out what was going wrong initially I'll post
    back.

    Simon Elliott, Jul 10, 2004