MSI-7060 MB problems

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Adk Furniture, Apr 13, 2007.

  1. I have a generic computer w/the MSI-7060 mobo ver 1 installed, and it
    shuts down suddenly. Doesn't matter what you are doing, it just goes
    off. Pushing the start button doesn't work, you have to shut it down
    with the main off switch, then turn that switch on, and press the
    start button. Sometimes it will boot fine, other times when it boots
    it shuts down suddenly, as before. It has already caused problems with
    my hard drive - it probably took out some of the OS when it was
    rebooting one time.

    This system is only 1.5 years old - if this is a motherboard problem,
    is there any way of getting it replaced by MSI? Or, am I s.o.l.?

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Pat

    System details:
    MSI-7060 Ver 1 mobo
    Bus clock: 133 mhz
    bios: Phoenix 6.00 PG
    RAM: 1 G
    Processor: 2.6 mhz Pentium 4
    OS: Win 98
    Display SiS 661FX

    Adk Furniture, Apr 13, 2007

  2. Adk Furniture

    Harry Syme Guest

    Have you openbed the case to check that both the cpu fan and vga fan (if
    there is one) are running ok?
    If so then next you could run memtest86 on your ram...leave it for an hour
    or two and if it shows no errors you can probably assume your ram is ok.

    Have you scanned your system for spyware virus?

    Is the display built into the mb or do you have a vga card installed?

    Harry Syme, Apr 13, 2007

  3. Adk Furniture

    Paul Guest

    I don't know anything about your board. But the symptoms you describe,
    sound like the Vcore regulator on the motherboard is switching off. One
    reason for that to happen, could be bad capacitors (metal cylinders with
    a plastic sleeve on them). Check that there is no brown fluid or stains
    around the base of the capacitors, and that the top of the capacitor
    is flat. A bad one will start to bulge on top, if it is going bad. The
    capacitors to check, are the ones near the processor socket (as that is
    where the Vcore regulator circuit is located on motherboards).

    An overheated processor can also turn off a computer. The processor
    has a signal called THERMTRIP, which can be used on the motherboard,
    to switch off the ATX PSU. Check that the CPU fan is working, not
    clogged with dust, and that the heatsink is still being held firmly
    in place. You can remove the heatsink, clean and apply fresh thermal
    paste, to improve contact between the heatsink and the top of the CPU.
    Only a thin layer of paste is required, and the paste is used to displace
    the air gap.

    So that is a couple possibilities,

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 13, 2007