    and will get 1Gb DDR (2 512 sticks). I am not an extreme gamer so
    should I look into HyperX or will I see no difference for the money.
    Does the board even take it?

    Mike, Dec 20, 2003

  2. I've been running a MSI 865pe Neo2 for a few months and I used Kingston
    HyperX memory (1G 2x512). Its been rock-stable even with some mild
    overclocking of the system.

    I can't vouch for the "normal" memory but its usually memory timings you
    are paying for. In the case of HyperX you're also paying for the
    anodized blue heatsinks that look good with a glass-sided case =)

    Jeffrey Green, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I think I may go the PC3200 HyperX and like you, mild OC. I have a
    Celeron 1.4 and a Pentium III 800, both not OC. The HyperX memory may
    help with the digital editting that I will be doing. Thanks for the
    input.

    Mike, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Which model number memory are you using. I see on Googlgear
    (ZipZoomFly) that there are two PC 3200 HyperX Kingston 1Gb set.
    Model KHX3200K2/1G which is 2-2-2-6-1 CAS2 and KHX3200AK2/1G
    which is 2-3-2-6-1 CAS2. Something tells me go with the first.

    Mike, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I just noticed the KHX3200K2/1G is double sided. Which one are you
    using on your board.

    Thanks

    Mike, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Mike

    Howard Guest

    Just built a system and used the KHX3200AK2/1G memory.
    Not sure which one is the best or recommended, but it seems to be
    working fine for me.

    Running the 865PE FIS2R board with a 2.8, 800 fsb P4.

    No problem overclocking to 3100 with a little tweaking of the
    settings in the bios. No extra coolling needed, just 4 case fans. 2
    front and 2 rear along with the stock intel p4 fan and heatsink.

    Also updated the bios to the latest 1.9

    There is really a lot of you can play with on this board. It will let
    you know if it does not like the settings.

    jdh

    Howard, Dec 21, 2003
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for the reply. My gut feeling was to go with the RAM that you
    are using. MSI has a rebate on that board until 1-18-04. I have a
    case, floppy, and CD-ROM. I'm going to get a KVM switch to go between
    it and mine now. Any way I build it, it will scream compared to my
    trusty old PIII 800 that I'm on now.

    Mike, Dec 22, 2003
  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Jeffrey,

    I went with the system and it is up and running. I did make a few
    changes in the BIOS, but unsure of the settings in the DRAM Timing
    settings. I am using KHX PC3200 2x512 with settings of 2-3-2-6-1 and
    CAS latency 2. Did you adjust the settings in the BIOS or leave
    default. I tried to adjust and had to reset CMOS due to it would POST.
    This is the first I've used DDR SDRAM and I am unsure what each number
    means.

    Mike, Jan 11, 2004