    experiences with this board, I have always used Abit boards in the past ?

    Thanks
    Paul

    Paul Wadland, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Paul Wadland

    M Guest

    I have had one of these for a while. It's a very good board, I have a P4
    3.0Ghz 800FSB with 1GB of PC2700 Kingston DDR.
    The support for SATA (on the Promise and Intel ICHR5) and enough regular IDE
    channels swung it for me.
    It has 3 x 1394 Firewire ports.

    But... it only supports DDR to 400mhz (PC2700) otherwise highly recommended.

    Rossendale UK

    M, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Paul Wadland

    Howard Guest

    I am using this board also.
    Have a P4 2.8, 800 fsb.
    Using Kingston HyperX memory. 1 gig set of PC3200.

    It supports memory of DDR 400 which is PC3200

    Has more bios settings than you will know what to do with.

    No problems so far.

    jdh

    Howard, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Paul Wadland

    M Guest

    Ooops I meant PC3200 400Mhz sorry...

    M, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Paul Wadland

    Tom Lake Guest

    But if it uses dual-channel memory then that's all an 800MHz FSB machine can
    handle anyway. Anything faster would actually slow down memory access. I
    have that situation with my MSI GNB Max 533MHz FSB machine. It takes
    dual-channel 266MHz (PC2100?) modules to come up with 532MHz actual access.
    If I were to install two PC2700 modules, it would be slower.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Paul Wadland

    Paul Wadland Guest

    Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm mainly after a fast stable board
    not interested in over clocking. Plan to use PC3200 400Mhz memory, is it
    best to pair these chips up ?

    Paul Wadland, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Paul Wadland

    Howard Guest

    To get the benefit of dual channel you have to install in pairs.

    A pair of 512's should be all you need.

    jdh

    Howard, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Paul Wadland

    Paul Wadland Guest

    Will I actually need that much Ram, does XP Home actually make use of it
    all or most games for that matter ?
    Paul

    Paul Wadland, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Paul Wadland

    Howard Guest

    I don't do any gaming so I am unsure of those requirements. I do use
    mine for media applications and I know the more ram the better for
    that.

    From what I have read, 1 gig of ram is the sweet spot for XP.

    You could more than likely get by fine on 512, but if you did decide
    to upgrade your ram you would then have to purchase a pair of 512's to
    replace your pair of 256's.

    I believe installing in pairs VS. fours is the preferred way for
    performance.

    It made sense to me to spend an extra $100 for ram because I was
    building a fast system.

    I don't upgrade that often, usually every 1 - 2 years, and always
    seem to take the "what if" approach if I don't go for it up front.

    jdh

    Howard, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Paul Wadland

    Gollum Guest

    Just as a point of interest. Anand Tech did a comparison test of
    memory modules on a dual channel board ( 875 chipset )

    http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1849&p=5

    The results were:

    DDR400 (1:1) DIMM Configuration Single-Channel
    Performance or Dual-Channel
    1 4 DS Dual Channel

    2 2 DS or 4 SS Dual Channel

    3 2 SS Dual Channel

    4 4 SS/DS
    Mixed Matched Pairs Dual Channel

    5 Any DS Single Channel

    6 Any SS Single Channel

    DDR333/266 DIMM Configuration Single-Channel
    Performance or Dual-Channel
    1 2 DS or 4 SS Dual Channel

    2 2 SS Dual Channel

    3 4 DS Dual Channel

    4 4 SS/DS Dual Channel
    Mixed Matched Pairs

    5 Any 1 or 2 DS or SS Single Channel
    (1 DIMM or 1 in each Channel)

    6 Any 1 SS Single Channel

    DS is Double Sided ( 2 Banks )
    SS is Single Sided ( 1 BANK )
    DIMMs were matched pairs except as noted.

    Happy Holidays,

    Gollum

    Gollum, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Paul Wadland

    alans220 Guest

    Hi all

    Just a simple, I think, question, can I connect my existing four hard
    drives, plus twocd/dvd drives to this mboard.

    I'm not sure of SATA and raid etc.

    I don't want a raid setup just enough connections for six drives.

    thanks

    al

    alans220, Dec 23, 2003
  12. Paul Wadland

    John Hill Guest

    Started out with 512 (2X256) and then went to 1024 (4X256) and noticed
    no difference what-so-ever.

    John Hill, Dec 24, 2003