    different board and still recover my data? These boards seem to be
    hard to find.

    , Oct 1, 2007

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I have an MSI K8n Diamond plus mainboard that won't boot anymore.
    > After stripping it down to just the memory, the cpu, and the
    > diagnostics leds, I can only get the first LED to turn green.ccording
    > to the manual, this indicates "Early chipset initialization". So what
    > would I do to fix that? I've also tried a new CPU and a new Power
    > supply.
    >
    > My BIG problem is that I have all my data on two RAID 0 arrays. In
    > order to get the data back, I would order the same mainboard again if
    > I can find it, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a
    > different board and still recover my data? These boards seem to be
    > hard to find.

    If you cannot find the exact same motherboard, or cannot get the
    motherboard repaired under warranty, I'd look for another
    Nvidia chipset based board. The thing is, the metadata on the
    hard drives (the "reserved sector"), if properly designed, should
    be compatible between the various chipsets. This is "soft raid" after
    all. A new motherboard may not be able to boot from the arrays, but
    perhaps the Mediashield drivers can make the arrays visible in Windows,
    once you boot with a different boot disk.

    While this won't help much, there is a basic RAID manual for Nvidia.

    Reference material - ForceWare_MediaShield_Users_Guide
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_28159.html

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 5, 2007