    I'm running Windows XP.
    Any help appreciated,

    Scrim

    Scrim, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Scrim

    Tom Guest

    Hi,

    Same here. I have an MSI FX5600XT-TD128.
    Installed it, and had system lock-ups too, all at different time intervals.
    I thought it was a bad videocard so i went back to the store to change it.
    New card, same probs.
    I will go back to the store and ask for my money back or change to a card
    that is guaranteed to work.
    I don't know if it has anything to do with my mainboard, which has on board
    VGA.
    ASUS A7N266-VM with GF2 on board, also from nvidia, that is why i wanted to
    upgrade to the FX-series.

    Or is it maybe that the XT-series is not so good?
    Can anyone help out.

    Cheers.

    Tom, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Scrim

    william bell Guest

    Do you have a 400W PSU or Larger..?

    william bell, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Scrim

    Dark Avenger Guest

    XT serie good? HAHAHHAHA What a joke!

    The XT serie are CRIPPLED cards ( nvidia wise ), that ati XT cards are
    fast and nice... well.. but in case of nvidia it means the card is
    crippled!

    For 20 bucks more you probably have a nice 5600 Non Ultra or if you
    are smart you go atleast with an 5600 Ultra!

    Dark Avenger, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Scrim

    Tom Guest

    Power supply is rated as 250W, but this card is the only expansioncard in my
    box. I have just the other usual things connected to it : 1 floppy, 1 HD and
    1 DVD-ROM. I guess that the PSU should be sufficient?

    Thanks.

    Tom, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Scrim

    Dark Avenger Guest

    250W... says NOTHING! Look at the table on the PSU, what does it tell,
    how much ampere can it push over the 12v line, and over the 5v
    line..and the 3.3v line!

    Dark Avenger, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Scrim

    Tom Guest

    I had to unmount the PSU to read the label, and now it is mounted again, but
    i remember something like this:

    12V 13Amp
    5V 27Amp
    3.3V 20Amp

    3.3V & 5V = 175W max

    that's what it says...

    Tom, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Scrim

    Dark Avenger Guest

    Basicly not to bad.. but... the 12V line seems a bit low, though the
    5600XT is slow and doesn't needs much juice. It might be the reason
    while it asks tomuch from your PSU.

    That is indeed a thing to keep in mind with upgrades... can my
    motherboard/psu run it.

    Dark Avenger, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Scrim

    Tom Guest

    I now know for sure it wasn't the PSU.
    13Amp on the 12V line was indeed near the limit, so i bought a new PSU.
    This one can deliver plenty of juice over the 12V-line but the problem still
    persists.
    I guess i just have a bad videocard/mainboard combination, or there is an
    unresolved error in the drivers from nvidia?

    Beware with things 'made in China'. It's still true i would say...

    Tom, Feb 7, 2004
  10. Scrim

    Dark Avenger Guest

    Well yeah..some things are crappy indeed! I heard others about weak
    examples of videocards. Then the only thing that works is to return it
    to the shop and get a new one ( garantues are so nice )

    Dark Avenger, Feb 7, 2004
  11. Scrim

    Tom Guest

    I took my PC to the shop (on their request), where after 2 hours they came
    with the same result as i did... it just won't work.
    I got my refund, ordered a ASUS 9600XT, as i once managed to get a radeon
    7000 working on this PC before.
    I' m wondering if it has anything to do with the mainboard not being able to
    deliver the power needed over the AGP-slot.
    Well, let's wait and see...
    The new card should be in the shop next friday.

    Thanks for your help,

    Tom.

    Tom, Feb 9, 2004
  12. Scrim

    Dark Avenger Guest

    Mmm, that is a very possible problem indeed, the 9600XT though has a
    molex connection so that will work out fine!

    Dark Avenger, Feb 10, 2004