MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR FSB Setting w/ AMD XP 3000+ (400 FSB) and PC2700 Memory

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Googler, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. Googler

    Googler Guest

    Here's what I have:

    MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR
    AMD XP 3000+ (400 FSB)
    1 GB Crucial PC2700 333DDR
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    WD 120GB 7200RPM

    Installed everything and booted up fine the first time. I went into
    the BIOS, adjusted the FSB setting to 200 (as per AMD's instructions
    on their website), rebooted and...nothing.

    Cleared the CMOS and set the J10 jumper to SafeMode and switched the
    time back to 100. I can now boot successfully.

    Question 1: What setting do I need to use in order to take advantage
    of the CPU's full FSB?

    Question 2: Did I go wrong in the purchase of the PC2700 memory?
    Should I have gotten the DDR400 instead?

    I haven't tried cycling through to see what will "take" as of yet.
    (It was way past my bedtime when I finally got everything together.)
    I'll be doing that tonight. I figured I'd see if any of you have any
    other suggestions.

    Thanks --
    Sam

    Googler, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Googler

    Inglo Guest

    I think the XP 3000's are 10.5x200 if you have a 400 MHz FSB one,
    otherwise its 13x166.
    You should have got DDR400, to run at FSB 200 you're overclocking the
    memory. Go exchange the RAM and pay the extra $ to get the DDR400
    PC32000 RAM. Right now you can run at 166x13 and you'll be doing OK.

    Inglo, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Googler

    Bill Ko Guest

    Actually, I believe the BIOS will let you underclock your memory
    (memory multipliers of less than 1).

    Bill Ko, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Googler

    Inglo Guest

    You mean setting the DRAM/FSB Ratio to something like 5/6, so the memory
    is at 166 and the FSB is at 200. That is a terrible performance
    recommendation for nForce2 boards. The memory and FSB should always be
    run synchronous.

    Inglo, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Googler

    Bill Ko Guest

    I agree, but at least he can avoid getting new memory until such time
    he can get some memory.

    Bill Ko, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Googler

    Inglo Guest

    What he should do in the time being is run the Athlon @ 13x166 and
    synced with the memory. Of course his CPU multiplier could be locked.

    Inglo, Jun 12, 2004