    Just received my new pc with the above mentioned mb. Should I install
    NVIDIA's chipset drivers, or stick with MSI's (somewhat older) drivers?

    MrK

    Mr K, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Mr K

    Michael Paul Guest

    Am Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:13:37 +0100 schrieb Mr K:
    I'd prefer the newest drivers from Nvidia.
    For I have very often read that Nvidia's IDE drivers might cause problems,
    you should prefer the standard drivers from MS, that are part of Windows.

    So, install Nvidia drivers without the IDE drivers.

    Michael

    Michael Paul, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Mr K

    Don Guest

    MSFT doesn't write device drivers. The standard drivers would have been
    written by nVidia and added to Windows before it was released.

    I agree that the drivers with Windows would be *known* to work, on the
    other hand, the latest nVidia drivers provide additional enhancements
    and resolve problems discovered since the Windows release.

    I have the latest nVidia drivers installed on Windows XP Pro and Windows
    XP Pro x64 beta, they work very well on my K8N Neo2 Platinum.

    You could consider installing as Michael suggested, check system
    performance, and then try installing the IDE drivers afterward. If
    somehow you did encounter a problem you could always roll-back the
    driver to the previous configuration.

    Don

    Don, Feb 17, 2005
  4. Mr K

    Don Guest

    Am Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:13:37 +0100 schrieb Mr K:
    You might wish to check the MSI site for the latest version(s). All the
    drivers that came with my mobo were outdated including the BIOS. I ended
    up downloading the lastest from the nVidia website and from the AMD
    website (for the CPU).

    Don, Feb 17, 2005
  5. Mr K

    leo Guest

    I have the nForce4 ultra board and GeForce 6600. The system (XP) ran
    fine when I installed the drivers from MSI. Then I updated them with the
    driver sets from nVIDIA site and it crashed with blue screen at random
    time!!! At first I thought it's the IDE driver but later I believe it's
    the firewall manager! I removed the firewall program last night and it's
    not yet crashed.

    leo, Feb 20, 2005
  6. Mr K

    Don Guest

    Interesting ...

    There's been an ongoing issue with Windows XP x64 (currently in beta
    testing) and the nVidia firewall. Curious that it does the same with the
    32 bit version of Windows XP as well.

    Don

    Don, Feb 20, 2005