MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and 4x512MB Double sided DDR400 memory in dual channel mode

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Glzmo, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Glzmo

    Glzmo Guest

    Hello all. In the manual of the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Mainboard it says that
    if you fill up all banks using four double-sided DDR400 modules, that the
    Mainboard can only operate in DDR333 in dual channel mode. I read the same
    in many reviews of the board and other Athlon 64 Socket 939 boards.
    Since my old mainboard has died and I wanted to upgrade my CPU anyway, I
    thought I would still go for this board, even though I have got four
    double-sided Twin-Mos DDR400 modules. As expected from the reviews, it was
    working with DDR333 in dual channel mode.
    So I was thinking that I could try overclocking my Athlon 3500+, as the
    memory shouldn't have any problems with it until it reaches 200MHz, so I
    tried a FSB of 119 which brought the processor up to 3800+ speeds (2400MHz),
    as I read on the web it should make that easily with stock cooler and I
    thought it should do it with a Zalman CNPS-7000ACu. At the bootup screen,
    the memory was shown as running at 181MHz. However, the computer would hang
    while booting Windows XP. The same thing happened, no matter how little I
    overclocked the FSB (I have Dynamic overclocking disabled and the AGP speed
    locked at 66MHz and default voltage for CPU, memory and AGP). What could be
    the problem here? It seems as the memory is not.
    Anyway, I thought I won't be overclocking for now, so I checked all BIOS
    (v1.20) options again. I noticed I could set my memory clock up to 200MHz
    and I thought I'd give it a try, even though the reviewers state it won't
    run in dual-channel DDR400 mode with four double-sided modules. I boot up
    and lo and behold, the system runs in DDR400 dual channel mode with the RAM
    running at 200MHz, at least according to the bootup screen.
    The system boots into Windows and is perfectly stable no matter what, but
    due to the reviews stating it shouldn't work, I am wondering, is it really
    running in dual channel DDR400 mode for all four modules? Has anybody else
    had experience with this? Is there a tool that can tell me reliably what
    speed my memory is running at and if it's in dual channel mode or not?

    Thanks in advance,

    Glzmo

    Glzmo, Oct 2, 2004