    Same result. Is it possible that the bios does not recognize the
    newer AMD cpus? I have no idea what bios this board has on it since it
    has never posted.

    Mike, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Mike

    CoCo Guest

    hi

    i got a k8n neo2 platinum and that mb had bios 1.2 installed.
    Model Version Size Platform BIOS BIOS Date Counter
    K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) v. 1.3 312 kb AMD Award BIOS 9/24/2004
    1. This is Award BIOS release.
    2. This BIOS fixes the following problem(s) of the previous version:
    - Updates CPU ID.
    - Supports Sempron CPU 1800+.
    - Fixes K8-939 RevD CPU cool 'n' quiet can't work properly.

    Model Version Size Platform BIOS BIOS Date Counter
    K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) v. 1.2 312 kb AMD Award BIOS 8/30/2004
    1. This is Award BIOS release.
    2. This BIOS fixes the following problem(s) of the previous version:
    - Supports FSB up to 450MHz.
    - Supports K8 CPU Rev. D 939-Pin 128-bit.
    you may be right about that "new" amd's wont boot......

    coco

    CoCo, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Mike

    scott s. Guest

    Assuming he got the same BIOS 1.2 load you did, he should be OK
    - Supports K8 CPU Rev. D 939-Pin 128-bit.

    scott s.
    ..

    scott s., Nov 17, 2004
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Ok, so I got my board to boot now. Check this thread out:

    http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=66540

    Read at the very bottom... Do you think I should RMA the board as well
    since I now have the exact same problem? The system seems to function
    fine after I get it booted up, but if I unplug it from the wall and
    plug it back in, it does it's "half way on" thing until you hit the
    power button twice, and then it boots fine. I'm just wondering if a
    bios update will fix this, or if it's a massive hardware issue.

    Mike, Nov 19, 2004
  5. I have learned today that the early revision.0 MSI 6702E boards (mine was
    manufactured in August) cannot do the new 90 nm CPU without a bios update.
    In my situation, the board will not post and therefore I cannot upgrade the
    bios. I have RMA'ed the board back to MSI. Whether or not they will charge
    for the bios upgrade I don't know. The only way around the problem without
    a RMA is to borrow an older 130 nm CPU to boot they system and then upgrade
    the bios. After this, the 90 nm CPU should be OK. MSI is not alone in
    this. There is a discussion involving the similar Asus AV8 mainboard at
    http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=12&threadid=61943&enterthread=y

    John McDonnell, Dec 3, 2004