MSI K8N NEO4-F motherboard, CMOS battery, and recharge...

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Ant, Jun 3, 2007.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello,

    A few days ago, I noticed powering on my computer showed MSI splash
    screen (had this disabled) and then it went to BIOS screen to say "CMOS
    Checksum error. Defaults loaded."

    I was hoping it was a hiccup. I powered off the machine off and on to
    see if it remembers my settings, nope. I had to reconfigure it
    (annoying). The next day, it happened again. I usually turn off my
    machine (including its SeaSonic 650 watts PSU) when I go out to work
    (11-12 hours long) or gone for a long time when the machine is unused.

    I did try turning off my machine without turning off the PSU for about
    five minutes. Turning on did not show resetted CMOS. I have NOT tried
    leaving my PSU on when the computer is off. I am not sure if that is
    going to keep my CMOS settings intact or charge the battery. I usually
    like to turn everything off completely (no lights and stuff) to avoid
    those small energy usages.

    Is the motherboard's battery is totally dead or is it just bad luck? I
    only had this MSI K8N NEO4-F (MS-7125; PCB v3.0) motherboard (NVIDIA
    nForce4) motherboard before Christmas 2006! Aren't CMOS batteries
    supposed to last for years?

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "We're all ants. I'm a glittery little ant." --Alanis Morissette
    /\___/\
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address:
    ( ) or

    Ant, Jun 3, 2007

  2. Ant

    Grunion Guest

    Sounds like the battery. They can fail on their own, or can be drained
    by a short such as a misaligned mounting stud or the back of the case.

    Grun

    Grunion, Jun 3, 2007