    second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this matter.
    Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Guest, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Guest

    kony Guest

    Just an offhand guess, but maybe because you need more
    networking or drives than only one of each can provide?
    Or as you say, why would you? I"m afraid we can't make that
    call for you... if you don't currently desire to have more
    of these, no plan that would require them, there's no reason
    to believe you'll need them. Then again, like anything if
    the price difference is small you can always disable them.

    kony, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Gee, if you can afford both, why not get the better one, just in case
    you might need it?

    ToolPackinMama, Jun 1, 2005
  4. Guest

    Timbertea Guest

    The real advantage of the second RAID controller is it expands your SATA
    II capability to allow for larger drive arrays. You may have need to run
    at seperate RAID levels, say 0 for the boot drives, and another more
    redundant storage array for your important data. I really wish I had
    multiple raids on my domain controller for instance, not that I would
    get one of these for that purpose, but someone else might!

    Dual gigabit networking isn't something that most home users are going
    to need, but it does allow for some spiff options if you have a lot of
    PCs, run a server, need load balancing, have both a public & private
    network, need to bridge two NATs (though this is till a pain in the @*$&
    sometimes). While those things are spiff, I expect the real reason that
    they included it was because some people had objections & very real
    problems with the Nvidia "Active Armor" firewall system (such as causing
    network timeouts), and it gave you a handy way to bypass it with the
    other PCIE GB network port. On an otherwise good chipset, the networking
    portion was just flat out buggy in the early releases.

    --Timbertea

    Timbertea, Jun 1, 2005
  5. Guest

    Randy Guest

    The nVidia RAID is better. It supports SATA II, the Silicon Image RAID
    doesn't. I purchased the K8N Neo4 Ultra. Great motherboard.

    The real question is whether or not you will do SLI?

    Randy, Jun 12, 2005
  6. Guest

    kony Guest

    There may be other concerns regarding the RAID.
    For example, if the motherboard were to fail, the odds of
    finding a compatible Silicon Image based PCI card are
    better. That should always be a concern with
    motherboard-integral raid, IMO - if the board fails how do
    you get the data off? One can buy same generation of board
    again but that's not always a desirable solution as (future
    generation) boards often have other benefits and swapping a
    board takes quite a bit longer than having a card in another
    box already.

    kony, Jun 12, 2005
  7. Guest

    Earl Guest

    Actually, it's WILL you want SLI before you upgrade your motherboard.

    Earl, Jun 13, 2005