MSI K8T NEO 2 F Mobo problems with Radeon 9800 Pro

Discussion in 'MSI' started by iceman, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. iceman

    iceman Guest

    Okay I just tried about everything & this is what i’ve done:

    1. Boot windows xp original -non sp1/sp2
    - every driver and hardware peice works good
    - Radeon 9800 pro runs good, no problems here.

    2. Upgrade to windows xp sp2 pack
    - constant crashing of Radeon 9800 pro
    - screen goes black, or blank, or crash
    - did not crash with older radeon 64 agp card

    3. Updated every possible bios, drivers etc.
    - did some voltage tweaking for apg and ddr
    - same results, screen still goes blank running an app.
    - unplug all hardware except video card, ram, cpu, hard drive & still
    crash

    System:

    AMD 64 3000
    MSI k8t neo 2 f
    2x512 Samsung ddr400
    120gb sata drive
    Ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb 256bit
    450w psu (26a +3.3v/35a +5v/15a on +12v rail)
    changed it to 420w psu @ 18a +12v rail, same results

    I haven’t ruled the possibility of a better stronger psu, but it
    seemed to run fine until I upgraded to windows xp sp2 with my 2
    current psu’s. If i put an older agp radeon 64 card in it runs just
    fine? Weird? But I haven’t tried another newer different card cause
    I don’t have one. Can it be just that Windows SP2 is the problem
    then? Cause it didn’t start crashing until I update it to sp2. If I
    downgrade again then everythings works. BTW, I don’t want to
    downgrade back again.

    One other problem.. no matter what I do I can’t get the bios to run at
    400mhz ddr bus speed in dual channel. It only reads 333mhz, and the
    HT speed is only 1000? I thought the amd 64’s ht speeds were 2000!

    I really starting to dislike the AmiBios, the award bios is so much
    easier.

    Any help would be appreciated...

    iceman, Jul 26, 2005

  2. iceman

    iceman Guest

    Okay update on problem:

    I have set the agp speed in the bios to 4x, and agp fast write is off.
    I also have un hooked some power fans and sorts etc. to free up
    power.

    It is actually running stable as of this time and looks to be probably
    psu problem. Maybe a 25a @ 12v rail would be stable enough? Anyhow I
    don’t know for sure though because like I said everything ran stable
    under normal oem windows non sp versions.

    iceman, Jul 27, 2005

  3. iceman

    iceman Guest

    Update again:

    Nope I don’t think it’s the psu now. It simply has something to do
    with windows xp sp2 and the AMIBIOS. Looks like I can’t set the AGP
    speed to 8x. If I do it crashes or the screen blinks and goes black.
    But if I have it set to 4x there is like absolutely no problems what
    so ever. I have yet to test it on another agp 8x card so I don’t know
    about that.

    This is very disturbing... but i think i just solved my own problem.
    One last thing though... I can’t set my memory to ddr400. It only
    reads 333mhz at dual channel...

    iceman, Jul 27, 2005
  4. iceman

    Mikey S. Guest