MSI K8T Neo-FSR not booting (no beeps, 4 red diodes)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by R.H., May 4, 2005.

  1. R.H.

    R.H. Guest

    I'm trying to build a system with a MSI K8T Neo-FSR motherboard, an Athlon 64 3400+
    CPU and a (known-to-work) Radeon 9700. It's not booting or beeping, and I'm getting
    4 red LED's. At the moment I have nothing but the above parts (and the diagnostic
    bracket) plugged into the motherboard.

    First, I'm not sure I have the processor and CPU fan installed properly. I bought the
    retail version with the generic Athlon CPU fan, and the instructions seem to indicate
    that you need to hook the fan lever into or underneath the retaining clip somehow. Is
    this true? It doesn't look to me like this needs to be done, and I haven't found a clear
    picture of how it should look when you're done (the picture in the manual isn't clear).

    Second, I believe I've done all the obvious stuff (disconnect every unessential
    component, clear the CMOS, remove and replace the battery, remove the memory) and
    get the same results. So I'm down to checking my motherboard installation into the
    case and checking the processor installation.

    Is it enough to put the motherboard onto the static bag it came with in order to safely
    power it on outside the case? Or should I buy a big anti-static mat? (Wouldn't hurt
    anyway, I know.)

    Also, any other gotchas I'm missing here? I think I've got another AGP card around
    somewhere I could try, too, but the one in there was working with my last PC.

    R.H., May 4, 2005

  2. R.H.

    NikV Guest

    I puzzled over this inadequate diagram for a while before ignoring it -
    works fine processor & fan assembly is secure and its worked fine for a
    couple of months.

    Have you got the reset cmos jumper in the correct position? (think its jbat)

    Nik

    NikV, May 4, 2005

  3. R.H.

    NikV Guest

    according to my docs this shows a processor problem, is it seated properly,
    you have got the square aux power plug in havent you :) - do the fans spin?

    nik

    NikV, May 4, 2005
  4. This mainboard is very fussy about power supply and ram. Like most newer
    boards, it will not post with an AGP 2X video card. I know that the 9700
    supports both 2X (3.3 volts) and 4X (1.5 volts). I do not know if there is
    a jumper setting on the Radeon 9700 to switch between 2X and 4X. But if
    there is, and if the current setting is 2X, then your K8T Neo will
    definitely not boot. But then again, if that were the case, you would get 3
    red lights and not 4 on the diagnostic.

    There are all kinds of warnings about starting up without a heatsink firmly
    attached. You can burn out the CPU in a matter of seconds. It is most
    important to hook the fan lever into the retaining clip in order for the
    sink to make proper contact. On the plus side, if that is your situation,
    you can RMA a retail CPU back to AMD. Their turnaround is pretty good.

    John McDonnell, May 4, 2005
  5. R.H.

    R.H. Guest

    Thanks, yeah, the CMOS jumper is in the right spot. I tried it in the other position, too.

    Oh, and the fans are spinning. I meant to mention that, but idiotically didn't.

    R.H., May 5, 2005
  6. R.H.

    R.H. Guest

    Thanks, I'll see if there's a jumper on the Radeon. That's definitely one thing I didn't
    think of.

    Also, the fans are running. I meant to mention that--it's defintely the first thing I looked
    for. :)

    R.H., May 5, 2005
  7. Good luck. But the fans will run even if the CPU is dead. The most
    important thing is that the heatsink be in full contact with the CPU.

    John McDonnell, May 5, 2005