MSI K8T-NEO2-FIR problems

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Aksel, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. Aksel

    Aksel Guest

    Last week I bought components for a new PC, but I have got problems by
    installation.

    The setup is:
    CPU: Athlon64 3200
    MB: MSI K8T-NEO2-FIR K8T880Pro GLAN bundkort
    Mem: 1Gb RAM Dane-elec DDR333, 2 x 512 MB, Dual kit.
    HD: 2 x Maxtor DM10 200GB SATA 7200 RPM 8 MB
    Graphics: Club 3D All in Wonder ( Radeon 9800 SE)
    DVD: LG DVD GDR-8163RBB
    DVD RW LiteOn SOHW-1653S-09C

    By first attempt the PC would not boot, power supply and fans started.
    The 4 light diodes: 1 = grøn 2,3,4 = rød, supposed to mean "Early Chipset
    Initialization"
    Whatever that is.

    The RAM was mounted in slot 2 & 4, dual channel mode, when I moved them to
    slot 1 & 2 I could boot.
    Suspected RAM failure as memtest86 found errors in test 0 (Adress test,
    walking ones, no cache)

    Failing adress good bad
    error bit
    1 0000002000 0.0MB ffffffff 00000000 20020000
    2 0000002000 0.0MB 00000000 ffffffff 20020000

    Same pattern each time

    With only one RAM block the error bit is10020000, same result for both
    blocks in slot 1 or 2

    The two 512 MB blocks were only registrered as 512 when both wewr mounted,
    and 256 with one.

    I got new RAM up to last week-end, DDR 400 but memtest found the same
    errors.
    RAM test in boot finds only 524288 MB RAM (strange number)

    Changed the PSU to 450W and the AIW graphics to an old GeForce 2 as the AIW
    manual stated that drivers should be installed before the board.

    Installing Win XP, pressing F6 to load SATA drivers, installed 2 drivers
    from disk:
    "VIA RAID controller" and "Promise Fast Track 571/519/579 controller"
    Blue screen by restart:
    Possible error in file ""Fejlen skyldes muligvis følgende fil FTSATA.SYS
    DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS"

    FTSATA.SYS was installed from the Promise driver disk.

    New Win installation, without the Promise controller, everything seemed OK
    until I installed the driver disk form MSI, same blue screen after reset.

    New installation, MSI drivers installed without Promise controller.
    Live BIOS update, no boot after reset, probably damaged BIOS.

    The hardware pusher says that I have damaged the MB by the BIOS update.

    I need an opinion:
    Was the MB defective from the beginning og was it damaged by the BIOS
    update?

    Greetings Aksel

    Aksel, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Aksel

    Michael Paul Guest

    Am Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:13:17 +0100 schrieb Aksel:

    Hi,
    Wrong memory - you should take DDR400, my Infineon Original CL3 work
    fine.
    Did you try DIMM1 and DIMM3? This is the other combination that will
    support Dual Channel mode.
    Okay. This indicates, that either the modules are
    a) defective
    b) poor quality
    c) incompatible
    That's bad.
    What sort (brand) of memory is that? Yes, there is lot of memory sold,
    that is poor and won't work with AMD64.
    Would you please post the current the PSU will deliver on 12, 5,
    3.3Volt? That information may be important.
    S-ATA sucks;-) I prefer good old P-ATA. That works fine.
    [...]
    Imagine, you have severe problems with your memory. Until that problem
    isn't resolved, forget installation of any OS.
    Live BIOS should only be run if Windows runs rock solid. And that isn't
    the case with your system.
    That is true. Maybe it can be rescued that way:
    You need a working floppy drive in your machine.
    Then go to MSI Website and get the BIOS (either Ver. 3.2 or 3.3, as you
    like). Unpack the BIOS package and create a copy of the A6702xxx.YYY
    (YYY=330 or 320) file. Rename that copy into AMIBOOT.ROM.
    Put that file onto a new formatted floppy - performing a chkdsk a: or
    scandisk a: on that media is a clever idea.
    Now insert that floppy into your computer with possibly damaged board
    and try to boot up from floppy. If you see anything on the screen, you
    may try pressing F10 key and follow the instructions given.

    When ready, unplug the machine and reset CMOS using the JBAT jumper
    according to the manual.

    If you are able to read german language, MSI germany has some useful
    instructions on http://www.msi-technology.de/support/biosup.html
    Nobody can say that from remote. But interrupted BIOS-Update can really
    break the machine.
    Concerning your problem with memory: on Athlon64-systems the memory
    controller is part of CPU, no more part of the mainboard. So,
    compatibility issues cannot be fixed with a BIOS update.

    regards,
    Michael

    Michael Paul, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Aksel

    Aksel Guest

    I ordered a wrong type form the beginning.

    The manual do`nt mention slot 1 & 3 for two RAM modules

    Same brand as the first

    +5V 35A
    +12V 15A
    +3,3V 26A
    -5V 0,5A
    -12V 0,8A
    +5Vsb 2,0A

    I know now.
    I do`nt get as far as any text on the display, the floppy is not working, no
    beeps and four red diodes.

    Thank you very much, i have written my list of problems and delivered the
    complete PC in as RMA.

    The german MSI website seems very good.

    Aksel

    Aksel, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Aksel

    Aksel Guest

    Just found this posting about same MB

    Just got mine working stable, with a 90nm 3200+ and 2 sticks
    of Micron DDR400 512megs (from the recommended list),
    a 400 watt Sparkle power supply, and a 9800 pro. Here's
    what I found.

    - The sucker would not post with dual channels of RAM until
    I flashed the BIOS to v3.2. It came with 3.0. I had to flash
    with one channel installed. This flash supposedly patches
    the microcode update on the 3000, 3200 and 3500. I presume
    it improved the DDR controller on the CPU among other
    things. It also only detected half the RAM stick (ie 256 megs)
    until the flash as well.

    Seems to be the same problem

    Greetings aksel

    Aksel, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Aksel

    Michael Paul Guest

    Am Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:47:03 +0100 schrieb Aksel:
    Hi,
    Then try other type with your next computer;-)
    Hmm, I admit that MSI manuals are sometimes contradictual - my printed
    manual mentions DIMM1+3 and recommends that for DC and CnQ. DIMM2+4 work
    also, that is recommended in the english manual I have downloaded from
    MSI Taiwan.
    I have read statments, that the 12V rail should deliver at least 18A on
    Athlon64 systems. But it is not mentioned officially in any MSI doc:-(
    OK. But that PSU doesn't seem to be very powerful ;-)
    My 350W HEC-350MR-PTD delivers 28A@3,3V, 33A@5V, 18A@12V.

    [...]
    That's really bad:-(

    regards,
    Michael

    Michael Paul, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Aksel

    Michael Paul Guest

    Am Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:06:29 +0100 schrieb Aksel:
    Yes, Micron memory is fine.
    That was the problem: Winchester core is supported with BIOS 3.2 and
    later.
    Yes, indeed.
    No. A BIOS update can't do anything with the CPU internals. But with
    BIOS 3.2 the mainboard now knows the CPU and supports its features.
    Maybe. But I didn't find information about the BIOS that was installed
    on your mobo in your posting.

    greets,
    Michael

    Michael Paul, Feb 13, 2005
  7. Aksel

    Aksel Guest

    Trying to compress two treads to one, I am confused already, no need to make
    it worse.

    I changed the PS because the Radeon board has a plug for external power, the
    PS may be weak on the 12 V

    The posting i quoted seems to indicate that others have had similar RAM
    problems with the MB as I have.

    Sorry, I do`nt know the version of BIOS my MB was delivered with, I hoped to
    upgrade to 3.3, it should support Radeon 9800 SE, one of the features
    needed.

    I bought the MB mainly because it got a very good rewiev in PCWelt,i am a
    subscriber, and speaks quite good German, (for a dane that is)

    Think my BIOS chip needs external flashing, I will call my hardware pusher
    tomorrow and hear their verdict, they have had the PC for almost a week now,
    normally they are very helpfull.

    Thank you for your help, I might try again when I get the gear back.

    Greetings Aksel

    Aksel, Feb 13, 2005
  8. Aksel

    Michael Paul Guest

    Am Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:55:24 +0100 schrieb Aksel:
    Sorry for that. I got confused, too;-)
    [...]
    Yes, it is. If you plan to use AMD64 together with a high performance
    graphics adapter, then you should get a better PSU. Emermax, Fortron,
    HEC should be a good choice.
    Yep. That's the problem. It seems to be impossible for normal users to
    find that out without assembling the complete system.

    When I bought my system, I also ordered assembly of the whole things.
    And that was good, for the dealer told me, that they had to return the
    mobo, because it was defective. Maybe the reason was only BIOS 3.0 that
    doesn't support Winchester Core.
    I did upgrade to 3.3 because I hoped, that fan control would work.
    Result: Nothing. But despite of that, my system runs very stable.
    Fine. But I don't switch language now ;-)
    Maybe you'll have a look at the newsgroup
    de.comp.hardware.cpu+mainboard.amd?

    Regarding reviews in magazines (paper and online) - if a product isn't
    judged as totally bad you can forget those. Any review I read about that
    board mentioned that there is a working fan control. But if you read the
    support forums and the newsgroups, there are lots of users who (like me)
    claim, that that feature is not working.
    This is feasible, if the BIOS-chip is placed in a socket. On my board,
    the BIOS-chip is soldered:-(
    Okay, nice to read you again.

    best regards,
    Michael