MSI KM2M, Athlon 2200+, Windows 98 won't install

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Johnny Asia, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Johnny Asia

    Johnny Asia Guest

    I tried to install indows 98 on a new computer,
    the install stops at the "Windows will format this drive"

    Then I get a runtime error, and "Can't load COMMAND"

    Any ideas about what's going on?

    MSI KM2M Combo-L 300w power
    Athlon 220+
    256 MB Kingston PC 2700
    80 GB Seagate HD
    +

    Johnny Asia and the Woodstock Quantum Ensemble
    Live tracks with violinist Richard Carr, Dom Minasi:
    http://www.angelfire.com/art2/painterny/wqe.html

    Johnny Asia, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Johnny Asia

    Johnny Asia Guest

    Here is the error message:

    run-time error R6001
    - null pointer assignment

    Memory allocation error

    Cannot load COMMAND, system halted
    +

    Johnny Asia, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Johnny Asia

    Don Schmidt Guest

    You may have to fdisk and format the hard drive.

    Refer to the information at:

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q255/8/67.asp

    Also; it would be a good idea to use the newer fdisking program (for drives
    exceeding 64 gigs)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044

    And after you have Windows installed replace the Windows Installer program
    with version 2 (its the program used to install all your additional
    programs)

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F

    http://tinyurl.com/3ha9 (same as the long address above)

    Do in the order listed. Good luck,

    Don Schmidt, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Johnny Asia

    Johnny Asia Guest

    I used the updated fdisk, the computer just hangs
    during the process.

    Could it be the hard drive?
    +

    Johnny Asia, Guitarist from the Future

    http://www.angelfire.com/art2/painterny/wqe.html

    Johnny Asia, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Johnny Asia

    Johnny Asia Guest

    Never mind. I went to the Seagate web site and downloaded
    their installation software. All went smoothly after that.

    I had never used a Seagate before. I don't know why the
    Windows 98 CD wouldn't work/

    +

    Johnny Asia, Feb 21, 2004