MSI mobo that supports ECC Registered PC2100 DDR?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Chris, Nov 12, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi,

    My MSI K7D Master is dying (burst capacitors) so I need a new motherboard :(

    I have 2*512MB Crucial ECC Registered PC2100 DDR that I'd like to reuse
    so I need to find a motherboard that supports Athlon XP 1900+ and ECC
    registered RAM.

    Does anyone here run this type of RAM in a non-server MSI board?

    I'm going to upgrade my rig to AMD64 next summer but I just need
    something cheap to tide me over that will run with my existing CPU and RAM.

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Chris

    Chris, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Chris

    Ross Guest

    I know the MSI K7T266 Pro2-A will run Smart Modular Technologies 512MB
    PC2100 DDR Registered ECC modules. Also, the SOYO SY-K7V Dragon Plus! will run these modules AND
    it has very large capacitors compared to the MSI board. At the time these boards were new and
    being reviewed - this was one of the noted differences which drew my attention. The reviewer
    indicated this allowed the Soyo board to maintain better voltage/current output over it's
    competitors.

    HTH,
    Ross
    Lake of the Woods
    Canada

    Ross, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Chris

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Capacitors can be repaired. If yiu know someone with electonics
    and soldering skills, this might be the cheapest option. I have
    done this myself several times successfully. The important
    aspects are to match the original capacitances exactly and to
    get "low-ESR" replacement capacitors, e.g. Rubycon "ZL" series.
    Apart from that it is just soldering skills.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Dec 6, 2004