    problems others might have encountered with it.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    ohaya, Apr 17, 2005

  2. ohaya

    gwfung Guest

    I put one together with 939 3000+, into an Antec Aria case. Other than
    no overclock options, I haven't been able to get voltage monitoring
    going either with PCAlert4. I find it a bit weak for that.

    Also to get 4 RAM slots, they packed them in really tight, such that
    modules with heat spreaders are very tight together. To run dual
    channel, I have to put the 2 modules I have right next to each other.
    just enough room for a thermocouple in between the heat spreaders. I
    would be more worried if I have to run 4 modules. But at least this
    board has 4 slots.

    Integrated PCI-X video would probably benefit from dedicated frame
    buffer memory, which is an option with other similar upcoming boards.
    But for the 2D graphic work I use it for it's good, and the reviews of
    the early RS480 engineering boards have been good too. Although a bit
    of a dream feature, having both DVI and analog outs on-board would be
    cool, for dual monitor right out of the box.

    BIOS does have fan voltage and thresholds adjustment, I think it's
    pretty cool; it allowed me to compensate for unique environment of the
    Aria.

    Unlike what the manual said, it didn't come with round IDE cables. The
    box label said it should have a DB-9 riser and CD cable too, but those
    were missing. It may have been my retailer. Check the contents
    against the box label (let me know if u get one?)

    Overall I am happy for the value the board. PCIX video with good
    expansion potential in uATX. If you want a uATX 939 board, there are
    others coming from other makers, keep an eye out. But for the price at
    the time, it's pretty good for me.

    gwfung
    Vancouver Canada

    gwfung, Apr 18, 2005

  3. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    gwfung,

    Thanks for all the info!

    Since PCAlert4 didn't work for the voltage monitoring, have you tried
    SpeedFan? That has voltage, temp, and fan speed monitoring.

    FYI, the case that I'm thinking of working with is the Antec Minuet.
    Things will be a bit tight, but I'm looking to build a small PC.

    Still debating with myself about this motherboard though, especially
    since as you say, there are others coming. I just saw an ECS board
    that's similar, but I still liked the feature set of the RS480M2-IL.

    I'll post back re. the cables and the riser, if I happen to pick one of
    these up, but Newegg has a picture of the contents here:

    http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/13-130-485-03.JPG

    Jim

    ohaya, Apr 18, 2005
  4. ohaya

    gwfung Guest

    I thought about Minute too, but 220W Power supply won't cut it. I
    think my 300 is adequate, but I won't be putting in serious gaming
    video cards.

    Waiting for MotherBoard Monitor 5 to generate a setup profile for this
    board; it wasn't there a couple of weeks ago.

    gwfung

    gwfung, Apr 18, 2005
  5. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    I've heard of others who have the RS480M2-IL with the Minuet, so it does
    seem to work.

    BTW, you had mentioned other companies coming out with boards based on
    this chipset. Aside from ECS, can you tell me who else?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    ohaya, Apr 18, 2005
  6. ohaya

    zzipper Guest

    Gigabyte just listed theirs the other day but I don't think it's on the
    street yet, at least not in Canada where I am. Asus, Sapphire and a few
    others are supposed to be on the way as well. Only one I saw with gigabit
    lan is the Gigabyte one. I'm looking for one with dual vga connectors (this
    is supported from what I read). Here's the link at ATI with a list of
    partners who are supposed to release boards:
    http://www.atitech.ca/buy/promotions/radeonxpress200/amd.html

    zzipper, Apr 19, 2005
  7. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    zzipper,

    Thanks for the link!!

    Jim

    ohaya, Apr 19, 2005
  8. ohaya

    Sept1967 Guest

    MBM project was abandoned. There wont be any updates.
    He announced it last summer

    "Juli 6th 2004, about 7.5 years later the MBM development comes to a stop"

    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

    Sept1967, Apr 20, 2005
  9. ohaya

    JK Guest

    I have a system with that board in antec minuet soho black cabinet.
    Nice little thing.

    One can realize that 90 nm amd 64 cpu's are using less power (about 65
    watt full load and 13 watt idle), so cooling demands are lower. So one
    can use stock cooler, amd cool & quiet monitoring, if one don't want
    wild overclocking, which is not necessary, really.

    The onboard graphics works fine if one uses 2 ram sticks for dual-ram
    band. It benchs 3DMarks2001se 1024x32 with 5300, where an X300 radeon
    pci-express gives 6000. So it's quite economic to go with the onboard.

    What people says about onboard sound I can't really comment, since I
    use some small speakers in a 19" TFT eizo monitor.

    There is a nice review on ocworkbench of the board showing that the
    chipset is really not lacking much behind NF4 and NF3.

    I also have a system with the asrock 939A8X-M board with Uli 1689
    chipset. It comes with a complete set of 64 bits drivers, which the
    MSI does not. For the RS480M2 one can use the atitech.com beta 64 bits
    drivers for radeon (catalyst). They solve the graphics, but msi should
    come with x64 sound drivers. I have not succeded by using some from
    realtek.

    http://www.ocworkbench.com/news.stm

    see the links from 19. April on 3 M-atx boards

    STR works perfectly on both boards, ;-)

    best regards

    John

    JK, Apr 21, 2005
  10. ohaya

    gwfung Guest

    Thanks Jim for the content pics, that does match what I got. Let me
    know how the Minute's power supply works for you.

    gwfung

    gwfung, Apr 21, 2005
  11. ohaya

    zzipper Guest

    Happy to help :) Just noticed something on the Asus site....Radeon Xpress
    200 INTEL motherboards, even one with an onboard TV-tuner....but no AMD
    boards yet.

    zzipper, Apr 22, 2005
  12. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    John,

    Thanks for the comments!

    Jim

    ohaya, Apr 23, 2005
  13. ohaya

    Chris Guest

    Just finished putting together an RS480M2-IL in an Antec Sonata case.
    Used an Athlon 64 3000+ CPU. I wanted a very quiet system so I swapped
    out the Sonata power supply for a Seasonic & I swapped out the Sonata's
    case fan. The Sonata sits on my desk about 18 inches from me & I can
    hardly hear it.

    So far I've encountered two minor problems. Cool N Quiet locks up
    randomly with Windows XP SP2 Home. I have not found out the reason. As
    a workaround, I've uninstalled CNQ and XP seems to be fine. There's been
    no noticeable increase in fan noise or heat - yet.

    Second problem. When I've needed to clear the CMOS, I've found the CMOS
    jumper doesn't work. I've had to take the battery out for about an hour
    or so.

    This is my first Athlon 64 build.

    Chris

    Chris, Apr 24, 2005
  14. ohaya

    stimpy1 Guest

    Chriswrote:
[...]

    Chris[/quote:462f31ed8e]

    I built a system with the MSI RS480M2-IL and an Athlon 64 Winchester
    3000+ for my first build. I used 512x2 Corsair Valueram, 420 watt
    Enermax Noisetaker, and a Coolermaster Cavalier 3 case. Everything
    seems to work fine, and the graphics for games are actually quite
    good with the onboard chip despite predictions of gaming death if I
    didn't get a 6600GT at minimum :roll:

    Make no mistake about it, the onboard sound does crackle at times. You
    should budget in a $25 or so for a sound card when building a system
    with the Realtek chip onboard. There is one in that price range made
    my Chaintech that is quite popular. Chris is correct about the
    jumper--it doesn't work. And, MSI has a big danger warnining about
    removing the jumper other than the specified way. The directions are
    very vague on the jumper issue, so it's best just to remove the
    battery. If you need to clear CMOS simply press down on the battery
    tab with a small screwdriver and the battery will fall out. Be
    careful that it doesn't hit the board when it does.

    stimpy1, May 17, 2005
  15. ohaya

    Bantam Guest

    Sorry to bring up an old topic, but:

    I was just googling and found this page because this is the exact
    system I want to build myself!

    I wondered if the case’s built-in flash card reader interfaced with
    the mobo correctly. Does it work for you?

    Bantam, Jul 19, 2005