    I understand that 32bit windows will not see all 4gb but will it work?

    -- Zadok
    ('¿')

    Zadok, May 6, 2007

  2. Zadok

    Paul Guest

    Four 1GB sticks have worked on modern systems for some
    time. If matched, and installed in pairs on a dual channel
    capable system, you get dual channel operation. As you note,
    a 32 bit OS is not likely to get to use all the memory,
    as part of the address space is used for I/O (PCI/AGP/PCI Express
    spaces, or whatever other busses are used).

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=MS-7350+(P6N+SLI+Platinum)

    Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?

    A: Possibly

    How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version
    of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize)
    only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS.
    More information about OS memory maximums can be found at
    http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.asp?qid=4251 "

    Most motherboards come with a downloadable user manual. And
    it will also list the capabilities of the motherboard with
    respect to RAM. I recommend getting the user manual, before
    you buy a motherboard, so you can check the BIOS for any
    features you think you will be using. For overclocking, you
    want Vcore, Vdimm, (any other overvolting rails), CPU clock,
    memory clock, memory timings, all as options to be adjusted
    by the user. The really crappy boards, intended for office
    computers, won't have that stuff.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 7, 2007

  3. Zadok

    Zadok Guest

    Thanks Paul, Just what I needed.
    Heart to Heart? Hand to Hand? Hit the Hay?

    -- Zadok
    ('¿')

    Zadok, May 7, 2007
  4. Zadok

    Folk Guest

    Hope This Helps

    Folk, May 7, 2007
  5. Zadok

    Zadok Guest

    Well Paul, I put the (4) 1gb sticks in and WinXP only sees 3GB which
    is fine with me. I started with 2 and ran several benchmarks before
    adding the other 2. I thought I read somewhere that it would slow the
    system down to add the max (4gb) that the board would hold. It didn't.
    I couldn't be happier with this board. Perhaps that is why there is so
    little posting in this NG? I especially like the concept of the Auto
    Dynamic Overclocking Technology although I haven't played with it yet.

    -- Zadok
    ('¿')

    Zadok, May 13, 2007
  6. Zadok

    Paul Guest

    Anandtech sometimes compares running two DIMMs to four DIMMs.
    For DDR2, there can be a slight timing difference, or a slight
    change in voltage. But considering the speed of the memory
    interface, the lack of degradation is remarkable.

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2871&p=7

    Paul

    Paul, May 13, 2007
  7. [Also see my posting about the P6N Diamond and 4 x 1GB in this group..]

    May I ask what version of the BIOS you are using?

    Regards, Patrick.

    Patrick Vervoorn, Sep 27, 2007
  8. My apologies, you were talking not about the P6N Diamond, I was too hasty
    in trying to figure this out... Feel free to disregard my question. ;)

    Regards,

    Patrick.

    Patrick Vervoorn, Sep 27, 2007