    it as the problem or indicate that it is iin fact, would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Caeanis

    Caeanis, Jul 2, 2007

  2. Caeanis

    Caeanis Guest

    Just thought of a way to test for this. I turned the system on and
    then after a few seconds I hit the reset button. If I'm not
    mistaken, I believe this is controlled by bios or cmos. If the board
    was bad then it wouldn't respond at all, but it does. Anyone see
    anything wrong with this reasoning?

    Thanks in advance...

    Caeanis

    Caeanis, Jul 3, 2007

  3. Caeanis

    Paul Guest

    What happened again ? What activity is "controlled by bios" ?

    First thing I would check, is that the 2x2 ATX12V is connected to
    the processor power input, as well as the main power connector.

    To test basic responses of the motherboard, remove the RAM sticks
    and the video card. (Always unplug the computer before adding or
    removing stuff). Plug the computer back in and press the power button.
    Do you hear a "missing RAM" beep code from the computer case speaker ?

    Now, turn off and unplug again. Install a single stick of RAM,
    according to the instructions in your manual.

    If the RAM is accessible by the processor, now you should be
    hearing a "missing video card" beep code from the computer case
    speaker (because the video card is still missing, but the computer
    does have some RAM to work with).

    If none of the tests result in the speaker beeping, that means
    the processor is not running any BIOS code. Either the processor
    is not powered, the board is stuck in reset or is not getting
    the power good signal, the BIOS chip is missing :), and so on.

    Also, it is possible for a power supply to be dead on arrival
    or have a bad output. If you own a multimeter, try turning on
    the computer, and then measure the voltages on the main connector.
    You can touch the metal of the pin, on the top of the connector
    by the wires, while it is still plugged in.

    Some ATX power supply specs are here, to help identify the various
    signals and their expected values. (The first two docs are for
    20 pin power supplies, the third doc is for a 24 pin supply.)

    http://web.archive.org/web/20030424...org/developer/specs/atx/ATX_ATX12V_PS_1_1.pdf
    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/atx/ATX12V_1_3dg.pdf
    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

    Hope that helps,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 3, 2007
  4. Caeanis

    Denis Guest

    Paul's suggestions are spot on....

    Have you tried clearing the CMOS , - disconect mains power first.....?

    It's an MSI Motherboard. Use the diagnostic led d-bracket connector, if you
    can get one. It will do all the hard work of finding the fault. it's got 4
    leds that will tell you what the fault is.See the mobo manual at page En-9

    MSI are fussy about the DDR2 RAM you use on this board, but I reckon all RAM
    will work, but some may be unstable in some circumstances. Have you the
    suggested RAM chips?

    Denis

    Denis, Jul 4, 2007
  5. Caeanis

    Harry Syme Guest

    Yes there is a simple way to test. Buy yourself a cheap pci video card and
    plug it in. If you get a pic then its the video card thats the problem.

    Harry Syme, Aug 15, 2007