    pcie graphic card. Any overclocking tips on this board will be much
    appreciated.
    Billy

    Billysy, Feb 25, 2007

  2. Billysy

    Paul Guest

    Have you tried Core Center ?

    First of all, when overclocking Core 2 Duo systems, you are interested
    in more than just the clock rate. You should use an actual benchmark,
    such as SuperPI, to keep track of how well you are doing. Due to
    issues around the Northbridge, sometimes you can get higher performance
    because of some change in Northbridge latency. Therefore, I'd suggest
    using an actual benchmark after each overclocking setup, making careful
    notes of whether SuperPI is getting faster or not.

    What some people find, is they get better actual performance, if they
    set the clocks nominal in the BIOS, and then use a utility in Windows
    to tweak the clocks. If your motherboard was supported by Clockgen
    from cpuid.com, that would be the ideal situation. I don't know
    how Core Center works, as in whether it just fiddles the BIOS settings
    for you, or modifies things in real time, but that might be another
    alternative.

    In any case, if I owned your board, I'd want to know more about
    Core Center, and what it could do for me. If Clockgen actually
    works for your motherboard, so much the better.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 26, 2007

  3. Billysy

    Billysy Guest

    Thank you for your advice. I shall try Clockgen although I have no idea how
    it works. I have just tried Core Center. I could go as far as 333 but
    after I restarted the system, my computer refused to boot up.
    In Core Center, I still could not find anywhere to adjust the cpu vcore
    voltage though.
    I got other queer syntoms today after my computer blue-screened and died.
    Upon restarting, my usb optical mouse became insinsitive-namely it had no
    response until I clicked the 2nd or 3rd time; my floppy disc driver could
    not format any brandnew floppy and took long long time to read a floppy;
    while web-browsing, I got a popup saying (something like) a memory address
    could not be 'read' and the IE browser shut down by itself. It all seemed
    like somewhere my motherboard's voltage went wrong, Can you help?
    Thanks.
    Billy

    Billysy, Feb 27, 2007
  4. Billysy

    Paul Guest

    Start by trying to get back to "normal" conditions.

    You could try clearing the CMOS. Usually the motherboard will have
    a jumper for that. The user manual should have instructions for how
    to do it properly. And that normally means, unplugging the computer
    before you do it. You don't want any power present while clearing the
    CMOS.

    In Windows, I'd want to uninstall Core Center. Then make sure, using
    a program like CPUZ from cpuid.com, that the speeds of things are back
    to normal.

    If the motherboard still exhibits symptoms that it has gone bad,
    either you need to return the motherboard to your retailer, or
    to MSI under the warranty.

    Note that the Northbridge on an overclocked system, can get hot.
    Maybe the heatsink is not making good contact.

    You can test the memory in your system, with memtest86+ from
    memtest.org . That will give you some idea if this is related
    to RAM, or to an overheating Northbridge.

    You may also want to try Googling on "Core Center", and see
    if other users have noted any peculiar or bad behaviors from the
    program. It could be that Core Center is just not a good program
    to use. I've never used it, so I cannot advise on that. I've
    always overclocked my systems via the BIOS, and my overclocked
    systems have Vcore settings in the BIOS I can use, as well as
    adjustable clocks. It is a good idea to download the user manual
    for the motherboard, before you buy it, so you know what you're
    getting in the way of adjustments.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 28, 2007