MSI rant and buyer beware

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Bogdan, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. Bogdan

    Bogdan Guest

    How come their software is a piece of crap and how come very few
    reviewers, if any, mention this? Isn't there a single honest unpaid
    reviewer out there?

    I've been using Leadtek cards upto now. I recently got an FX5900 VIVO
    but their software, in particular VIVO related stuff (ie drivers and
    media center... etc) don't work at all. Even if you install ignoring
    the errors during installation, the applications won't even start.
    Apparently, this has been the case for quite a while and for other
    cards too (FX5200, FX5600.. etc). Besides from not being able to use
    the VIVO stuff (even with nVidia WDM's, nView doesn't support multiple
    displays), those who got the remote control versions are screwed the
    most because their remotes won't work as well.

    When I searched for specific error messages (ie one about windex.dll
    .... etc) and checked this ng and various forums, I was able to see
    lots of other people have had same problem (I am on Windows2000, one
    guy was on ME, I don't know about OS's of others). I contacted nVidia,
    and their only response was "uninstall drivers and reinstall". Well,
    that simly doesn't work, no matter how many times you repeat it. I
    wiped mine out 4 times and tried various mixes and matches from the
    CD's and nVidia and MSI.

    Like I said, what amazes me is that there is very little, if any,
    mention of software problems in reviews.

    In short: MSI non-VIVO cards might be OK (I haven't tested any) but
    MSI VIVO cards are a piece of crap. Stay away. Mine will go back to
    the store on Monday.

    Bogdan, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Bogdan

    john.moir Guest

    My MSI FX5600 VTDR128 works fine including VIVO...Maybe u should learn how
    to install software.

    john.moir, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Mine is working fine too. When it stops working fine I'll post it.

    Nick

    Nicolas The Great, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Bogdan

    Indiana Guest

    FYI, user error does not constitute a bad product.

    Like someone else already said, maybe you should learn how to install
    software...

    Indiana, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Bogdan

    John Lewis Guest

    Maybe you should use Driver Cleaner and then try another install ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Bogdan

    Bogdan Guest

    Maybe you should learn the fundementals of deductive reasoning.
    For the developers to bother putting the software on CD, they
    should have it running at least on one system (namely their own
    development/test system). In other words, it means absolutely
    nothing that it runs on a (your) system. As can be seen in:

    http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=275&pageID=310

    Ok, this guy is running ME -see below- but the same error I see
    on Win2K, as do the next two people:

    http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/video_graph/msi/fx/5600/p3.shtml
    http://www.computerforum.de/thread.php?threadid=6168&sid=

    ....etc

    I am not the only person experiencing the bug. And yes, it's
    a bug when it doesn't work on a supported system:

    from MSI page:

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=476

    "Media Center Deluxe 2 Release 2 - Notice: Only supported
    WinXP/2000 platform"

    From what I have researched so far, there are lots of Windows
    2000 users, like myself, who are having the same problems.
    Since I haven't seen a bug report from an XP user, my guess
    is it runs on XP.

    Bottomline is that you should never assume other people are
    complete idiots just because everything went fine for you,
    for your own ignorance may be exposed.

    Bogdan, Dec 27, 2003
  7. Bogdan

    Bogdan Guest

    Look, another know it all. See my response to the other clown.

    Bogdan, Dec 27, 2003
  8. Bogdan

    Darthy Guest

    Microsoft wants the world to be on activated WindowsXP OS... the
    support more development for XP than Windows2000.

    It's all a mess... get a Mac.

    Darthy, Dec 27, 2003
  9. Bogdan

    Bogdan Guest

    Granted, and regardless of activation, software manufacturers like
    customers to move on to their latest offering, not only because of
    continued revenue but also to minimize support headaches and costs.
    However, Windows 2000 is still being supported by MS and if a vendor
    claims support for it, it's only fair to ask that they really do.
    I't a catch 22. I am not an OS fanatic but I would be a fool to adopt
    it while the rest of the world doesn't. Same with Linux on the
    desktop.

    Bogdan, Dec 27, 2003
  10. There is a version 3 on their site available for download. That's for all
    VIVO models.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Dec 27, 2003
  11. Bogdan

    Bogdan Guest

    Is this the one you are thinking?

    =====
    MSI Media Center Deluxe II patch (Upgrade to release 3)
    Support model MSI FX5200 & FX5600 product series
    Description • Media Center Deluxe II upgrade patch.
    • It must install the media center first from your OMCD.
    Date 2003-7-16
    Your System OS 2000/XP(18515KB)
    =====

    If so:
    1. My card is FX5900 (ie not supported with this one - nor the version
    two patch, FWIW, which is for FX5800)
    2. Original MCD-II doesn't install properly from CD to begin with.

    Thanks anyway.

    Bogdan, Dec 27, 2003
  12. Bogdan

    RL Guest

    an Obvious ID 10 T problem

    RL, Dec 27, 2003
  13. Bogdan

    Spear Guest

    There is a glitch in the system if you d/l the updates after doing a "failed
    install" install the updates it will work. I am running a FX5200 TDR128 and
    media player works... it is slow in the load but launch it and go get
    something to drink (then again I have not launched since my cpu upgrade).
    That should fix the issue. I was in the same boat as you. Windoze 2k and it
    would not work. That was until the update. It works now.
    And call up MSI tech support and talk to them. They are very helpful people.
    Good luck.

    Spear, Dec 27, 2003
  14. Yeah Sorry.

    I have it installed but I never use it because:

    a) The remote is slow to respond possibly because
    b) The GUI interface for the thing seems to be written in something like
    Flash and 'tis really shit
    c) 'tis very easy to crash the damn thing.

    The remote can be used with Girder, there's a plugin which lets you move the
    mouse with the arrow keys.

    Cheers
    Sharanga

    Sharanga Dayananda, Dec 27, 2003
  15. Bogdan

    Bogdan Guest

    Yes, I noticed, after reading the MSI forums, that even on those
    systems that it installs and runs, there are major memory leak issues
    and the software is overall slow and very poorly written. I don't
    understand why we customer put up with such absolute crap.

    There's probably not all that much of a choice anyway for half-decent
    quality software (or hardware, for that matter, since everybody just
    copies the reference design). Considering that even nVidia software
    developers are a bunch of crooks (driver benchmark cheats) the state
    of affairs is not very surprising.

    Bogdan, Dec 27, 2003
  16. Bogdan

    Darthy Guest

    So they transfer the headache to the enduser instead... so like when
    they have to REINSTALL their OS, the reinstallation of the software
    would come back and call them a pirate!

    Activation on the OS level is about CONTROL... the ability to FORCE
    you to upgrade when THEY want... even easier.

    Within M$ power, they could shut down EVERY SINGLE Activated Windows
    XP computer... they could tell your computer to erase all the files
    off your hard drive. That's a lot of power... something no country
    with half a brain would put on their systems, much less a company.
    Uh... The WORLD is switching over to LINUX for the Desktop...

    England, Germany, India, China, Korea, South America... the list goes
    on.... Ford just DUMPED their Windoze workstations for Linux.

    Darthy, Dec 28, 2003
  17. Bogdan

    Bogdan Guest

    Drifting OT but..
    Much as I don't like activation, registration.. etc, there's no reason
    to be more paranoid than you need be. That somebody can, in theory, do
    something doesn't mean that there is a measurable probability. Do you
    worry over your neighbor shooting you down one day when you go out to
    pick up your morning paper? I would say that the power he has to harm
    you is several orders of magnitudes larger than what MS or any other
    software company can do.
    Let's wait and see how it affects the mainstream. Larger companies,
    governments and academia have already been operating with, or have a
    history with non-Windows OS's (remember various Un*x, VAX/VMS... etc)
    and Windows rose to dominancy in their presence, so there's no reason
    to expect that Linux will replace Windows on the average household or
    small business desktop soon. Also, Linux might be "free" but some of
    those switches are actually costing quite a bit more than renewing
    licensing from MS. In house development, support, 3rd party
    consultants... etc all cost money. It remains to be seen how the long
    term balance comes out.

    In the end, I don't care one way or the other, and I have no reason to
    believe the various Linux vendors and/or support companies are any
    more or less crooked than Bill but if I have a preference, all other
    things being equal, it is to give my money to Bill since his pockets
    are already full so his contribution back to society is greater than
    all the other Linux vendors who first need to fill their pockets.

    To summarize, 1) At this point in time, the tools I use don't have
    Linux ports 2) Getting back slightly on topic, the various (hardware
    and software) vendors have a difficult enough time supporting their
    wares on Windows operating systems (initial topic of my post), let
    alone the various flavors of Linux. Choice is good but so is
    conformity and uniformity. Computing is a means, not an end.

    Bogdan, Dec 28, 2003