MSI Ultra 745 (non firewire) BIOS Update. How do I upgrade the BIOS so it can handle AMD Athlon xp

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Dr. J, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. Dr. J

    Dr. J Guest

    I have a MSI 745 Ultra (non-FireWire). It has the SiS 745 chipset for
    those who don't know or don't have the time to look up.

    I figured it would be prudent to just get the top chip for it, as
    advertised, the Athlon XP 2600+ (266Mhz FSB). However, I was told
    that to utilize the chips power, I needed to update the BIOS BEFORE I
    install the chip. How do I do that?

    The rest of the system specs will be:
    Radeon 9600SE 128Mb (Powered, not Built, by ATI) No fan.
    1 Stick 512Mb PC2700 (333Mhz) Kingston DDR Ram
    8.4Gb Maxtor DiamondMax 5400 RPM Ultra ATA 66 Mb/s
    PCI 2 port USB 2.0 add-in card
    Standard 10/100 Ethernet card
    1.44 Mb floppy drive
    54x CD-ROM drive
    Quintar 19" moniter
    Logitech MX Duo

    As you can see, nothing spectacular.
    This whole rig ended up costing me about $400.00 US (joy)
    Also, as a side note, if any of you know anything about unlocking a
    9600SE or Athlon 2600+'s multiplyer, or any compatibility issues that
    MAY come up, please do not hesitate to let me know.

    Thanx,
    jacobdrj

    Dr. J, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Dr. J

    Robert Akins Guest

    Well, basically they mean you start with a CPU that is supported by the
    current BIOS version, flash the new BIOS, then upgrade the CPU. You might
    be able to borrow one from somebody, or buy an inexpensive CPU (Duron) to
    perform the flash, then resell it.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Dr. J

    Dr. J Guest

    Actually, I installed it with no settings. As longs as the multiplyer
    is right, the chip will work at ANY Front Side Buss speed.

    Dr. J, Feb 6, 2004