MSP-FET430UIF, IAR Kickstart: "Failed to initialize device"

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Marius Hancu, Mar 12, 2007.

  1. Marius Hancu

    Marius Hancu Guest

    Hello:

    We have two MSP430 development setups using:

    - the IAR Kickstart 3.42 for TI MSP430
    - the USB Debugging Interface MSP-FET430UIF
    - the target: MSP430F1612

    One of them works fine, we're able to compile and debug.

    One the other, we can compile but we can't debug/execute. We're getting
    these messages:

    Failed to initialize device
    Failed to load debugee

    What could it be?

    Permissions in installing the IAR Kickstart? Are they critical?

    Has any of you seen similar stuff?

    Thanks.
    Marius Hancu

    Marius Hancu, Mar 12, 2007

  2. Marius Hancu

    Joerg Guest

    Yes but a long time ago, around two years or so. I loaded an older IAR
    version which fixed the problem. So instead of the latest one from TI's
    web site I used the one that came with the CD in the FET430UIF shipment
    carton. Then it worked.

    Joerg, Mar 13, 2007

  3. Marius Hancu

    Marius.Hancu Guest

    We have two MSP430 development setups using:
    Is IAR KickStart sensitive to the Windows version? The one setup which
    works is on Windows XP, the one which doesn't is Windows 2000.

    Marius Hancu

    Marius.Hancu, Mar 13, 2007
  6. Marius Hancu

    mats.m Guest

    Hello,

    I need to know if you have SP4 installed on the Win2000 PC.
    The EW430 is tested with Win2000 + SP4.

    Do you have any problem if using a FET-PP ?

    Do you have any problem using another device, for example MSP430F449?

    // Best Regards
    // Mats Mariedahl
    __________________________
    IAR Systems Technical Support
    www.iar.com,
    __________________________

    mats.m, Mar 13, 2007
  7. Marius Hancu

    Marius.Hancu Guest

    SP4 is installed.
    Not sure, we haven't tested yet, but we'll try.
    We'll try, see in above.

    Thank you for your help.

    Marius Hancu

    Marius.Hancu, Mar 13, 2007
  8. Marius Hancu

    linnix Guest

    I believe so. The USB driver is XP only. Won't work on my 2000
    either.

    linnix, Mar 13, 2007
  9. Marius Hancu

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Mats,
    In my case (about 2 years ago) I used an XP machine. Got the errors
    every time, when trying to program several MSP430F1232. None of them
    could be programmed until I loaded the (older) Kickstart version from
    the CD that came with the USB programmer from TI. No need to
    investigate, I just mentioned it in case it helps you.

    By the way I find it is great that an engineer from a manufacturer
    participates in a newsgroup like this. Way to go!

    Joerg, Mar 13, 2007
  10. Marius Hancu

    Marius.Hancu Guest

    Well, to open some of the environments (.eww) we had required the new
    IAR 3.42 Kickstart. The old one (3.21) which came with the MSP-
    FET430UIF, couldn't do that.

    So, we installed 3.42.

    However, with the 3.42 version, we had the "Failed to load debugee"
    errors described in the above, i.e. couldn't really debug.

    Then we decided to go back to the old drivers, by uninstalling 3.42
    and trying to install 3.21, however the old IAR (3.21) hanged when
    trying to initialize devices.

    We would be curious to know what is experience of others re going back
    to old drivers or IAR versions from the new ones?

    With the MSP-FET430UIFs we have (2004, but recently bought), we
    really couldn't do that, backtracking wasn't an option. Not too good,
    in our view.

    Marius Hancu

    Marius.Hancu, Mar 14, 2007
  11. Marius Hancu

    Joerg Guest

    I also "hand-wiped" the directory and deleted it after un-install. Then
    I made a new directory to install the old version. That did the trick.

    Joerg, Mar 14, 2007
  12. Marius Hancu

    Marius.Hancu Guest

    Fixed after sending all our FETs (both USB and LPT) to TI support for
    re-programming. Some of them were recently bought, but manufactured in
    2004.

    Windows 2000 is still a problem, we can only work with them under XP.

    Marius Hancu

    Marius.Hancu, Mar 26, 2007
  13. LPT? How do they program a 'HC244?

    cheers
    Gunther

    Gunther Mannigel, Mar 26, 2007
  14. Marius Hancu

    Chris Hills Guest

    I have an idea the USB support in Win2K in general was not exactly
    stable.

    Chris Hills, Mar 26, 2007
  15. Marius Hancu

    Chris Hills Guest

    Far more do than you realise. There are AFAIK people from most of the
    major semis and tools companies on here. Most use non-company email
    addresses for all the usual reasons..

    Chris Hills, Mar 26, 2007
  16. Marius Hancu

    David Brown Guest

    I greatly prefer it when they identify themselves properly, at least
    when writing about their company's products. Anything else is downright
    deceitful. I have no time or respect for someone who tells you how
    wonderful a product is without letting you know that they are involved
    in its sale or manufacture. By all means add a "this is my personal
    opinion..." disclaimer and use a fake email address - that's fair
    enough. And there is no need to state your company for every post - it
    is only necessary for posts relevant to your company's products
    (although for some people, *all* their posts discuss their products
    regardless of the topic...).

    That said, I agree that having company presence in relevant newsgroups,
    mailing lists, and web forums is a good thing, for both the company and
    their customers.

    mvh.,

    David

    David Brown, Mar 26, 2007
  17. Marius Hancu

    Chris Hills Guest

    Since many are on here as a personal thing they can not do that. They
    are not representing their company.
    I don't think any do. None that I have seen anyway. Most just give the
    odd nudge to tech support questions. The only people I have seen
    blatantly pushing a product and work for that company have used a
    company email address.
    I think that that is taken as read. Besides some are hiding their
    opinions from the company they work for as much as hiding the company
    they work for. :)

    FYI I work for my self.
    I use a real company email address.
    However those that do tend to be obvious about it.
    I think so. The companies get grass roots feed back which helps their
    tech support. IT may also alert them to problems faster than other
    forms of feedback

    Chris Hills, Mar 26, 2007
  18. Marius Hancu

    CBFalconer Guest

    Actually, in Usenet, there is no real need to hide from spammers,
    since the reply-to field is not normally easily accessible to them
    without the complete article, yet it makes email replies trivial.

    CBFalconer, Mar 26, 2007
  19. Marius Hancu

    David Brown Guest

    That's fair enough - if you are not pushing their company's agenda, then
    there is no need to say what company you are working for. And it is
    also absolutely fine to give a brief hint towards technical support or
    the like. What I want to make sure we avoid, is salesmen claiming to be
    "just a satisfied customer".

    I don't think there have been many cases of "moles" pushing their
    company's products without revealing their connection (other than the
    occasional "I've just found this great website" spam). But it has
    happened once or twice (there were some large threads a number of years
    ago after such as mole was "outed". I can't remember the company). I'd
    just like anyone in this group whose products or services are of
    interest to others here to realise that honest technical contributions
    are much appreciated, while dishonest marketing is not.
    I know that - I've been abbreviating and referring to "companies" and
    "employers" for convenience.
    You are an example of someone who often gives good technical
    information, and makes it clear where you are coming from. This is good
    advertising for you, but also makes it clear that when discussing some
    issues, you are going to have a specific bias. That's fine, it's honest
    and open - no one would expect you to extol the virtues of products that
    compete directly with the ones you sell. People like you, or Ulf from
    Atmel, are good to have around.
    Obvious is good (programmers should understand that!).
    I guess what I'm saying is that honest technical company presence is
    good, but astroturfing is bad. It has not been a problem here, and I
    hope it stays that way.

    mvh.,

    David

    David Brown, Mar 27, 2007
  20. That would be true, if spammers didn't talk NNTP as well as us.

    Clifford Heath, Mar 27, 2007