    does the mspgcc tool chain include a means to read the flash memory as
    well as a disassembler? can the IAR kickstart do this? are their
    other free tools that might do this? many thanks.

    4MLA1FN, Mar 13, 2007

  2. Yes. The msp430-jtag utility can do that.
    Yes. GDB includes a dissassembler, and the msp43-objdump also
    has a disassembler feature. Neither is particularly well
    suited to a reverse engineering effort (if that's where you're
    headed). I have seen 8086 dissassemblers that were intended
    for reverse-engineering: they allowed the user to interactively
    add labels, comments, and mark regions as code vs. data.

    I've never seen such a beast for the '430.
    I would guess so, but I don't know.
    Rowley's CrossWorks has a free trial version, and a personal
    license is only US$149:

    http://www.rowley.co.uk/msp430/index.htm

    Grant Edwards, Mar 13, 2007

  3. I should mention that of course GDB can as well...
    msp430-objdump

    Grant Edwards, Mar 13, 2007
  4. 4MLA1FN

    4MLA1FN Guest

    many thanks for your reply. that was very helpful. i don't think what
    i'm hoping to do would be considered reverse engineering. there are
    bug and desired features that the manufacturer seems unwilling or
    unable to fix/add in a timely manner. i'd like to make these tweaks
    and additions for my own device and to give freely to anyone who may
    be interested if i succeed.

    anyway, it sounds like i'll have my bases covered with mspgcc or
    kickstart or the commercial product you suggested. thanks again.

    4MLA1FN, Mar 13, 2007
  5. 4MLA1FN

    4MLA1FN Guest

    it looks like objdump requires the input file to be in a particular
    format; e.g. tekhex, binary, ihex, etc. google hasn't help me find a
    spec for those formats.

    4MLA1FN, Mar 14, 2007
  6. It expects an .elf file. msp430-objcopy can convert from
    various formats (srec, ihex, etc.) to elf.

    Grant Edwards, Mar 14, 2007
  7. 4MLA1FN

    4MLA1FN Guest

    thanks grant. before i saw your response, i posted a question about
    converting my raw hex dump to one of those formats. so far, i can
    only find a spec for the srec format, so i guess i'll start writing a
    converter for it. thanks.

    4MLA1FN, Mar 14, 2007
  8. msp430-jtag will create either an ihex or binary file, and
    objcopy can convert either.
    How did you get a raw hex dump?

    Grant Edwards, Mar 14, 2007
  9. 4MLA1FN

    4MLA1FN Guest

    my device and be reflashed via my pc. i used a serial port monitor to
    sniff and record the firmware update that was sent to the device.

    4MLA1FN, Mar 14, 2007
  10. 4MLA1FN

    4MLA1FN Guest

    i very much appreciate your help grant. if you don't mind, let's
    continue this discussion on the "msp430: disassembling raw binary"
    thread. thanks.

    4MLA1FN, Mar 14, 2007
  11. 4MLA1FN

    CBFalconer Guest

    Look up "info binutils" or "man binutils". I believe it depends on
    the BFD package to decode file types.

    CBFalconer, Mar 14, 2007