MSP430F2013 documentation frustration

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by larwe, Oct 12, 2006.

  1. larwe

    larwe Guest

    I have this love-hate relationship with TI's documentation. On one
    hand, once you understand a module, you can use it on any micro. On the
    other hand, the cross-referenced docs are usually inconsistent and
    /always/ very confusing. (I still haven't worked out how to connect,
    let alone use, the sigma-delta ADC, and every time I try to use a timer
    on an MSP430 I wind up playing with clock control/divider bits for a
    week. The same signal is called three different things in different
    documents).

    Right now I'm trying to work out how the Timer_A2 module is mapped to
    I/Os on the F2013, because I want to do some PWM. The chip datasheet
    has a very confusing table in it, but as near as I can figure out,
    signal "TA0" is routed to both pins 3 and 7 of the DIP/TSSOP packages,
    and "TA1" is routed to pins 4, 8 and 13.

    I _guess_ you connect whichever pin(s) you want to Timer_A2 using the
    PxSEL registers.

    But WTF are these TA0 and TA1 signals??? The only obvious outputs shown
    in the timer block diagram are "OUT" and "OUT2 Signal".

    According to the MSP430x2xx user guide, there is no such signal TA0/TA1
    in the Timer_A module. Searching the user guide for TA0 finds only
    entries in the USI and ADC modules. Argh.

    Any ideas?

    larwe, Oct 12, 2006

  2. larwe

    Tim Wescott Guest

    email me if you remain puzzled - there happens to be an eZ DSP right
    next to my elbow whose S-D converter is perking along quite convincingly
    (I'm not sure if it's _right_, but it is convincing).
    Correct. I found the table fairly clear, but it may be a result of
    struggling with the TMS320F2812 documentation for several years.
    The TAx signals are the same as the OUTx signals. Look at the
    discussion around page 8-15 about OUTx vs. the TACCRx threshold
    registers. Basically you can make them do your will by setting bits in
    the TACCTLx register. About the only useful thing you can get the TA0
    signal to do is set, reset, or toggle when your timer rolls over, but
    you can make the TA1 pin do a nice PWM.
    I suggested to TI years ago that they hire away all of Motorola's
    documentation department. I don't think they listened.

    --

    Tim Wescott
    Wescott Design Services

    Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

    Tim Wescott, Oct 12, 2006

  3. larwe

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Tim,
    Go by the table on pages 9 and 10 of the data sheet. Says what can go
    where. Then back to the F2 family guide to figure out which register
    does the port pin routing.
    It sure does a nice PWM. Very clean.
    Part of the problem might be that the core docs seem to be written in
    Freising in Germany. That's the birth place of the MSP430 series and
    many of the engineers are German (shows in the docs at times, but not
    too strongly...). Then other docs are written in the US or other places.

    So if you follow the family guide and the data sheet tables it vill do
    vot you vant it to do. Usually ;-)

    Joerg, Oct 12, 2006
  4. larwe

    Andy Peters Guest

    Dear G-d, the TUSB3200A and TAS1020B docs suck in ways you don't know
    .... because there's so much that's just not documented, like the whole
    soft PLL thing. Ugh.

    -a

    Andy Peters, Oct 12, 2006
  5. larwe

    larwe Guest

    Thanks, I might take you up on this - but resolve to poke randomly at
    the registers and pins first.

    I've used the MSP430 rather a lot, but never this particular part, and
    never the PWM outputs. I'm presently trying to determine if what I want
    to do is even feasible given the multiplexing on the F2013.
    What throws me is that the signal names on the core (in the device
    datasheet) are totally unrelated to the signal names shown in the block
    diagram in the user manual. I had this sort of problem a couple of
    times with the F1122, but never anything as bad as this one.
    Why thanks, right neighborly of you.

    larwe, Oct 13, 2006
  6. From what I can tell that department didn't go to Freescale ;-)

    --
    Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918
    5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460

    "So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
    and we never even know we have the key."
    The Eagles, "Already Gone"

    The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1

    Michael N. Moran, Oct 13, 2006
  7. Good idea but omit the people who worked on the CPU12 manual.

    On the MSP430 programming documentation side, the description
    of the hardware multiplier seems to have been translated from
    Swahili to Chinese to German to...English.

    Everett M. Greene, Oct 13, 2006
  8. larwe

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Everett,

    You mean chapter 8 in the F4xx family guide? Looks ok to me except for
    the somewhat excessive use of commas. They use a lot of these in German.
    Then again I grew up speaking German...

    Joerg, Oct 13, 2006
  9. larwe

    igorus Guest

    Dear G-d, the TUSB3200A and TAS1020B docs suck in ways you don't know
    Yep! :)
    I'm just working on TAS1020B powered project. And stuck on this SOFT
    PLL. Actualy I will put the code from Firmware Developlment Kit by TI i
    the
    worse case, but I don't like such magic-style :-| .

    Is there any clear sample or description on it ?

    igorus, Oct 25, 2006