    I'd appreciate any advice/solutions/etc., although responses involving
    Linux will be treated disrespectfully. ;)

    TIA

    Gus, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Gus

    BT Guest

    Thanks for the "heads up". Think I'll wait a bit to download that fix.

    Looks like the tcpip6 is not a debugging form, but is an advanced
    networking pack. So maybe not related to your current problem unless it
    was for some reason also included in the latest fix you downloaded.
    Here's Microsoft's note on the tcpip6:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817778&Product=w
    inxp#16

    BT

    BT, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Gus

    Jerry Park Guest

    Are you running XP's firewall? If so, try disabling it.

    Jerry Park, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Gus

    Gus Guest

    No, although the network wizard forces it on then I tell it I'm
    connected to the 'Net via a hub (actually a router). I went back &
    turned it off (several times).

    Solved the problem by restoring to a system restore point (my first
    time). Ran that, deleted the adapter, then ran the Hardware Wizard to
    reinstall it.

    The restored network software let me check Client for MS Network, File &
    Printing Sharing and TCP/IP.

    Thanks for the feedback - BT, too. The module is gone now, but I believe
    I saw a reference to a test version on the Version tab of Properties. I
    still have a "tcpip6.sys" module, with a creation date = 06/30/2003,
    which I assume is the pre 832894 version --- not so, I still have 832894
    on my laptop and the creation date for tcpip6.sys is still 06/30/2003. I
    still think I saw a reference to a test version somewhere, but can't say
    where.

    Gus, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Gus

    Jerry Park Guest

    Don't worry about the tcpip6 whatever. That just deals with the proposed
    expansion of TCP/IP to more addresses.

    Sounds like you may have Microsoft ICS enabled (Internet Connection
    Sharing). Since you have a router providing the network addresses and
    Internet access, you don't need ICS. Try turning it off. And set up the
    connection manually rather than using the network wizard.

    Jerry Park, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Gus

    Quaoar Guest

    There are many reports of connectivity problems with wireless, but not
    so much wired ethernet with this update. I have three computers I've
    updated and have had to remove it from one because I was unable to force
    a wireless connection through any means whatsoever. The identical
    wireless card on another laptop worked fine. One frequent issue with
    the update is that Windows Explorer, when one accesses a folder, will
    tend to thash away at the HD for minutes until it settles. Microsoft is
    aware of this problem and is supposed to have a fix soon. The other
    problem is that the new restrictions on the form of http and https
    addresses that eliminates the inline password has screwed up numerous
    web server installations and many businesses are highly upset.

    Quaoar, Feb 6, 2004