    Option+Drag does them all equally. What is needed is to have the
    column with the wider names sized wider and the short names sized
    narrower. Just like the double click except with them all.

    The New Guy, Jul 27, 2007

  2. The New Guy

    The New Guy Guest

    Often I find myself resizing columns in Finder. Has anyone ever heard
    Read my original post again. "What is needed is to have the column
    with the wider names sized wider and the short names sized
    narrower." A keyboard shortcut would be ideal, but hey, I'm a
    realist. I'm in mouse world.

    The New Guy, Jul 29, 2007

  3. The Option-Double-Click does exactly that on my Mac.

    Joey Dee from NYC, Jul 29, 2007
  4. The Option-Double-Click does exactly that on my Mac.[/QUOTE]

    Option double-click on mine makes all the columns the same width, which
    is the minimum width for the widest column. OS X 10.4.10, Finder
    version 10.4.7

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 29, 2007
  5. The New Guy

    Tim Murray Guest

    Option double-click on mine makes all the columns the same width, which
    is the minimum width for the widest column. OS X 10.4.10, Finder
    version 10.4.7
    [/QUOTE]

    Same here.

    Tim Murray, Jul 29, 2007
  6. The New Guy

    The New Guy Guest

    Read my original post again. "What is needed is to have the column
    Same here. I guess I'll have to look for some addon. Maybe they'll
    do something like that in Leopard. Here's hoping.

    The New Guy, Jul 29, 2007
  7. Option double-click on mine makes all the columns the same width, which
    is the minimum width for the widest column. OS X 10.4.10, Finder
    version 10.4.7
    [/QUOTE]

    OOps... I checked again and that's what mine does, too. The first instance
    happened to have columns all about the same width; the next time I tried it,
    I noticed the narrow columns ended up wider than necessary; all the same
    width.

    I was expecting a reaction like Excel, which I guess is what the OP wants.

    Joey Dee from NYC, Jul 29, 2007
  8. ba-dum-bum

    Joey Dee from NYC, Jul 29, 2007
  9. The New Guy

    Tim Murray Guest

    tap tap tap "Is this thing on?"

    Tim Murray, Jul 30, 2007
  10. It's not possible until Apple fixes it which will probably be
    sometime after never. For God's sakes, even Terminal has
    a better interface than the Finder.

    HG

    HermineGranger, Jul 30, 2007
  11. The New Guy

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I suppose that ideally Finder would allow setting options which determine
    whether in column view the columns are automatically variant in size and
    such, but I don't consider the lack of such a feature to be a major hindrance
    to using the Finder.

    HG,

    As an aside, is there a reason why you misspelled Hermione's name?

    TaliesinSoft, Jul 30, 2007
  12. The New Guy

    The New Guy Guest

    Often I find myself resizing columns in Finder. Has anyone ever heard of
    You just nailed it. Yes, if it had automatic column resizing that
    would be like a gift from God.

    The New Guy, Jul 30, 2007