    OK, I have not noticed it before but the CDRW drive is fairly new.

    Thanks

    MArcus

    Marcus, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    personal opinion, it is fine at MW mode 2 but I do have to say that both my
    CD-RW and my DVD-ROM drive are at UDMA 2, not MW mode 2. is the selection
    for that ide channel at "DMA if available"? if not, set it to that...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 113,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    you will probably have some higher cpu usage at MW2 over UDMA2 and lower
    throughput capability but with an optical device, it should not matter...

    TomG, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Hello Tom,

    Yes it is set to DMA if available, it just seems a little strange as to why
    the Sony DVD is at UDMA 2 but the Sony CDRW is at something else.

    I take it the MW mode is higher than PIO mode but lower than normal UDMA 2?

    I'm going to benchmark both drives when I've finished my reinstall.

    Marcus

    Marcus, Jul 16, 2003
  5. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    you are correct about the mode... higher than PIO but not as high a mode as
    UDMA 2.

    TomG, Jul 16, 2003
  6. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Hello Tom,

    I've just benchmarked my DVD rom (IDE 1) which is running at UDMA 2 and my
    CDRW (IDE2) which is running the Multi-Word DMA mode 2.

    Using Sisoft SANDRA which used a 141mb test file:-

    DVD 2412KB/s
    CD-RW 2234KB/s

    The CPU usage was roughly the same with both drives, the CDRW use 0-4% of
    the CPU power, so theres not much in it so I think I'll just leave it as it
    is.

    In real terms Tom what speed would you expect a 52x CDRW drive to burn a
    CDR, mine will normally burn at about 20x if if's left alone and will burn a
    700Mb disk in about 3mins, in your experience are the figures quoted by
    manufacturs just sales talk.

    Cheers mate,

    Marcus

    Marcus, Jul 16, 2003
  7. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Just found the problem, in the BIOS set up it shows both my drives but when
    I actually go in to the Controller option (Primary Master) the option was
    "None" so I changed it to "AUTO" and now the CDRW drive shows up at UDMA
    mode 2 transfer rate.

    I thought that if it was set to none the the operating system would not be
    able to detect it, any way it's all OK now.

    Thanks for your help again

    Marcus

    Marcus, Jul 16, 2003
  8. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    it is weird... we have seen the setting of None actually FIX issues with DMA
    and, of course, we have seen that setting cause issues with DMA. Also, a
    setting of none will prevent booting from the drive usually.

    glad you got it sorted.

    TomG, Jul 16, 2003
  9. Marcus

    TomG Guest

    your time to burn sounds about typical, I have to admit I have not actually
    timed mine but it sounds about ballpark. my Lite-On, if left in MaxBurn
    mode, will start out way down at the 10 to 12x as the burn starts and
    quickly start climbing into the 20's and then soon into the 30's and finally
    up to around 48 or so which makes sense since you have differing speeds as
    the head traverses the inner to outer tracks.

    TomG, Jul 16, 2003
  10. Marcus

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Maybe because the data transfer speed of a DVD drive at 16 X is much higher
    than that of a CD-ROM drive at 48 X? As in 16 X 1.76 MBytes/per second
    (28.6 MBytes/sec.) vs 48 X 0.154 MBytes/sec (7.34 MBytes/sec.)?

    Phil Weldon,

    Phil Weldon, Jul 16, 2003
  11. Marcus

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Yep, when I upgraded from 98 to xp the dma bios settings were ok - set
    to Auto. When doing a clean install of xp I had to set it to "none"
    to get dma to work. Must be a bug in xp....

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.attbi.com/~hal-9000/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Jul 17, 2003
  12. Marcus

    ianr666

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had this after my graphics card died. Restored a full partition but this had no effect. The solution for me was to reset the CMOS. Once done I just had to check the BIOD setting were OK. This put it back to UDMA 5

    ianr666, Aug 6, 2009