Multihead problem on Suse Linux with nvidia GeForce4 420 Go (Toshiba)

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Hannes, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. Hannes

    Hannes Guest

    Hi,

    I have the following problem with TwinView on my nvidia.
    I'm using XFree86 4.3.0 with the latest nvidia driver 1.0-4496

    Second monitor always stays blank (or doesn't sync correctly) after
    restarting the X server.

    Log files indicate that everything seems to be ok. The driver detects
    the connected monitor and selects the desired screen resolution.
    If I boot with the second monitor already connected to the notebook,
    everything works fine on both screens. Therefore I think that the
    XF86Config file should be ok, right?

    What exactly is the difference for the video card between restarting
    the X server and rebooting?

    Any ideas?

    cheers,
    Hannes

    Hannes, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Hannes

    iggy Guest

    I betcha it has nothing to do with rebooting. I dont use twinview, but most likely this has to do with the fact that nvidia and agpgart drivers get reloaded when you reboot, but stay in memory when you restart X. Quit X and remove agpgart and NVIDIA kernel modules with "rmmod agpgart NVIDIA" then connect the second monitor and startx again. This will load kernel modules again and should produce same result as rebooting.

    iggy, Oct 14, 2003