    We are developing a Java application that currently can have several
    copies open at once, and I'm inclined to say this shouldn't happen.

    Thanks,

    Quackers, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Well, it is Windoze and thus it must be poor programming, as you
    said :)
    It means that one app is loaded into memory more than once,
    occupying unnessecary capacity and possibly corrupting .ini and
    other files. Anyway, probably you should not ask such a question
    in a Mac ng.

    Mark

    Mark Schonewille, Jul 19, 2003

  3. Quackers

    Paul Sture Guest

    Why is this weird? If a program such as a spreadsheet supports multiple
    windows so that you can see more than one file at a time within it, then
    I see your point, but for those that don't, why not have multiple
    instances?

    The disadvantage of only having one instance open is demonstrated by
    Netscape on my PC at work. I might have several windows open, but if
    a rogue website makes one window barf or hang, killing Netscape kills
    all the other windows too.
    That depends on the application. Using OS X, I see a minimum of 2 processes
    per Terminal window I have open - login and tcsh.

    Paul Sture, Jul 20, 2003
  4. Quackers

    Tom Stiller Guest

    What about the multiple updates to things like cookies, bookmarks,
    preferences, etc.?

    Tom Stiller, Jul 20, 2003