    I posted this in the Apple Support section but no replies.
    Anyone here know if this can be done?

    Many thanks, Colin

    TheZete, Jun 24, 2011

  2. I think that's the same as a separate user on the Mac. Each user has
    their own iTunes, iCal, and mail associated with the username. The
    problem comes when you want to _share_ the songs iTunes library. It
    used to be an issue because the Mac had the 'master' copy of the library
    and you could authorize devices. With the new iCloud stuff, I don't
    know how this works now.

    But two separate users on the same make, each with their own iTunes and
    iCal to sync with their own devices is totally doable. If that's not
    what you want, maybe try explaining it differently.

    Or make an appointment at a Genius Bar for some real-time help. Bring
    the computer and devices with you.

    Michael Vilain, Jun 24, 2011

  3. As the other posters have said, what you really want are two different
    user accounts on your mini.

    Then each if you (logged into your own account) can make your own
    calendars and contact lists.

    If you have a complicated joint calendar and contact list currently,
    the transition might be a little painful.

    Also, if you are sharing your music, the transition might be paintful
    there too.

    As a partial alternative, if you and your wife continue to use the
    same account on your mini, you can create separate calendars in iCal,
    then I think you can set iTunes to only sync the calendar{s} you want
    it to sync.

    Doug Anderson, Jun 25, 2011
  4. TheZete

    Patty Winter Guest

    Yes, you absolutely can. I'm currently running three different calendars
    in iCal, but I have iTunes configured to only sync "Main calendar" with
    my iPhone. "TV" and "Shakespeare" (summer Shakespeare festival performances)
    are for use only on my MacBook. (Once I actually decide to attend a show,
    I reassign it to "Main calendar" so it will get transferred to my iPhone.)

    The only complication for the OP is that he and his wife will have to
    remember to select the appropriate calendar(s) in iTunes for each person.
    Uh, which, now that I think about it, is going to be tricky, because
    you can't see the sync selections until the iPhone is connected, and it
    starts syncing as soon as you connect it. Maybe you can turn off the
    automatic syncing. Then connect it, go to Info, select the desired
    calendar(s), and click Sync.

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Jun 25, 2011