Multiple monitors and ATI Graphics card - problems...

Discussion in 'ATI' started by MarkE, Jun 3, 2005.

  1. MarkE

    MarkE Guest

    Hi,

    Wonder if any techy folk can help with this? Thought I'd be able to
    sort it myself but I've been pulling my hair out over it...

    My Dad has just got a new PC for doing video editing. It reports that
    it's got an ATI Radeon X300 graphics card with D-SUB and DVI output
    ports on the back.

    He's got 2 Iiyama TFT monitors wired up to it, each of which have D-SUB
    and DVI-D inputs on the back. We want to get it so that the Windows
    desktop is spanned across both monitors but am having problems...

    Monitor 1 is connected from the D-SUB port on the graphics card to the
    D-SUB on the monitor. This works OK.

    If I connect Monitor 2 with a DVI cable from the DVI port on the
    graphics card to the DVI port on the monitor, Monitor 2 says no signal
    and refuses to come out of standby.

    If I connect Monitor 2 with a D-SUB cable from the monitor to the DVI
    port on the graphics card via a D-SUB to DVI adapter, the display
    appears but is a clone of what is seen on Monitor 1. Going into Windows
    display settings, Windows is showing 2 adapters (the X300 and a
    secondary) and 2 monitors (1 and 2) , but when I try and activate #2,
    it changes from being ghosted to "live" and then almost immediately
    goes back to being ghosted again. I can set "Extend my desktop", but
    both monitors don't change from showing the same image.

    Does anyone have any ideas to get this setup working?

    Apologies for the long-windedness.

    Cheers,
    Mark

    MarkE, Jun 3, 2005

  2. MarkE

    pjp Guest

    I suspect you actually have enabled the extended desktop when you check that
    checkbox. By default Windows just copies the primary background to the 2nd
    display. The driver might/should provide an option for how to deal with the
    background, e.g. across both, duplicated or different. Ultramon is also an
    alternative for being "fancy" using multipule displays.

    Have you actually tried to drag a window over onto the 2nd monitor? Once
    that's going you can go into the various Advanced dialogs and see what
    further options ATI provides (with your drivers) under it's various Tabs,
    e.g. clone, extended, "dualview/theatre" modes etc.

    Also note that you can change the "Settings" monitors images to mimic you
    physical setup, e.g. primary on top, right side etc. by simply dragging the
    2nd moniotr around on the graphic (although anything but primary on top or
    left sometimes causes desktop icons showing on wrong display)..

    pjp, Jun 5, 2005

  3. MarkE

    MarkE Guest

    After trying everything I could think of with no success, we got tech
    support out and they replaced the card. Now it works fine, so I guess
    it was some kind of obscure hardware defect.

    Thanks,
    Mark

    MarkE, Jun 10, 2005