multiple monitors with Radeon 9200LE - please help

Discussion in 'ATI' started by jmullen, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. jmullen

    jmullen Guest

    I just bought a Radeon 9200LE off ebay - unfortunately i didn't realize
    at the time of purchase that it didn't come with any documentation. But
    the ad did say that it supports multiple monitors, which is the reason
    i bought it. The PCI card has a VGA, an S-Video & RCA connectors, so i
    got a VGA monitor splitter & hooked up my two monitors (one is a flat
    panel, the other is a CRT).
    In my display properties (win XP) I can see both monitors. In the
    display drop down menu there's 2 monitors listed, they're both default
    monitor on Radeon 9200 LE family, except that the second one is listed
    as the secondary (SEC).
    The problem I'm having is that both monitors are displaying the same
    thing. The second monitor in the settings panel of display properties
    has a dotted line around it, i've right clicked & attached it & clicked
    the extend my windows desktop onto this monitor option, but it doesn't
    stay attached & goes back to the dotted line after i apply the
    settings.
    I've looked up this video card on the ATI website as well as other
    reviews of it, & from what i understand it can support 2 monitors.
    since it doesn't have a DVI output i just imagined that both monitors
    would be hooked up to the VGA out. -- i looked for an s-video to VGA
    adapter, but i dont thing they exist..
    What am i doing wrong?

    jmullen, Feb 8, 2006

  2. According to the Radeon 9200 manual on-line at ati.com:

    The RADEON 9200 Series, depending on the
    graphic card configuration, provides hardware
    support for one VGA monitor and one flat panel
    monitor, or two VGA monitors using a DVI-I-to-
    VGA adapter*, or only one VGA monitor. It also
    provides TV Output via a S-Video out connector.

    It sounds like the card you got was one of the single VGA monitor
    versions. While the graphics processor can support two monitors the
    connectors were not installed on the card. I would return the card to
    the seller and state that the card is Not what was advertised.

    Michael W. Ryder, Feb 8, 2006