Multiple PCI vid cards with Intel motherboards possible?

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by AJ, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. AJ

    AJ Guest

    Has anyone gotten multiple PCI video cards (actually, I can't even get one
    to work) to work with an Intel Motherboard?

    My situation:

    Installing a Matrox G450 PCI into a PC with an Intel 865GBF motherboard
    makes the processor-to-pci-to-csa bridge inop (exclamation point in WinXP
    Pro's device manager). The error given is "This device cannot find enough
    resources to use (code 12)". This wipes out my network connectivity.

    I've contacted Matrox and they said to try a different PCI slot and upgrade to
    the latest Intel BIOS. I tried both but still get the same problem. Matrox pretty
    much indicated that it was Intel's problem and not their's. I've also tried
    disabling the onboard video via device manager (there is no option in the
    BIOS to do anything similar). I've contacted Intel, but all they sent was
    references to integration guides and gave no response yet (a few weeks)
    when I "escalated" the problem.

    With AGP going away in favor of PCI-E, the multi-PCI card approach seems
    like the best way to get multi-monitor support at this time, especially if you
    need more than 2 displays. Unfortunately, this can't be done?

    AJ

    AJ, Oct 11, 2004

  2. AJ

    Rick Guest

    Is there a jumper on the motherboard to disable the onboard
    graphics controller? I can't believe a system as recent as the
    865GBF wouldn't have facility to do this.. Is it supposed to
    "autoswitch" when a video card is installed? Check the bios
    for an option to choose between AGP & PCI video.

    Rick

    Rick, Oct 11, 2004

  3. AJ

    AJ Guest

    No (not that I could find in the documentation anyway).
    The BIOS only has an option to indicate which graphics device should be
    active at boot time: AGP or PCI. It doesn't actually disable either one though.
    And yes, I tried it both ways.
    It actually works (the PCI video), but it knocks out the other device because
    of the apparent resource conflict.

    AJ

    AJ, Oct 11, 2004
  4. AJ

    Rick Guest

    Have you tried different PCI slots? Check your motherboard
    manual and see which slots share with onboard devices.
    Usually PCI slot 1 shares with the onboard video -- if that's
    the case don't use slot 1. You preferably want a slot that
    doesn't share with any onboard devices: video, USB, etc.

    Beyond that I don't have any other suggestions, except to wait
    for support either from someone else here or from Intel.

    Rick

    Rick, Oct 11, 2004
  5. AJ

    AJ Guest

    Yes (as I stated in my original post).
    I tried 3 of the 6 slots and got the same result.
    I hear ya. I was hoping Intel would get back to me, but they haven't
    so I thought I'd throw it up here for people to chew on.

    AJ

    AJ, Oct 11, 2004
  6. Wouldn't touch an Intel manufactured motherboard with a bargepole, but
    multiple PCI display cards on a third party manufactured, Intel chipset
    motherboard is no problem at all, both AGP/PCI and multiple PCI.
    Not that it helps you much, but they're almost certainly right.
    The best approach at the moment is arguably AGP plus a PCI card, especially
    if you're talking about Matrox products, as there's no PCI-E card from them
    as yet. Having said that, multi-PCI should work without issue.
    If you only needed three, a Parhelia would probably be the easiest option at
    the moment. However, from a theoretical point of view
    It can be, and is normally a plug and play deal. I've never had any issues
    of this sort configuring a multiple Matrox card system, and I've assembled a
    good dozen or so over the past few years, all of which would have been on
    Intel chipset motherboards, normally made by Abit.

    Unfortunately, there's very little I can think of bar Matrox's advice about
    the PCI slots, BIOS and so-on. I take it the WinXP installation you're
    talking about has the latest Intel chipset drivers, service packs and so-on
    installed?

    If the option is open to you, have you tried setting this graphics solution
    up on another motherboard? Suppose it could be a fault in the particular
    example board you're trying, or indeed the 865GBF design. If nothing else,
    trying another board should rule a couple of problem areas in or out.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Oct 12, 2004
  7. AJ

    AJ Guest

    I was surprised also.
    You'd think though that they'd want to correct this issue on this nice MB that
    has 6 (!) PCI slots from numero uno.
    Again, I don't see the value in buying anymore AGP cards. If you have one already
    or can get the onboard AGP to work, that would be the way. But I can't see investing
    in AGP right now (unless they become dirt cheap).
    "shoulda/woulda/coulda"... :(
    I read here that triple display is really just stretched display rather the highest
    resolution on each individual monitor. So it's different than the dual head mode.
    So triple head vs. dual head appears to be apples and oranges (not the same
    thing) when using one Matrox card.
    Doesn't work for me anyway I've tried it with the popular Intel board.
    Yes, of course. I new BIOS has become available since this issue began
    and I was hopeful that I'd be able to pop in the Matrox card and have it
    working, but still no go.
    It used to be in my old PC which also had onboard AGP that could be turned
    off in the BIOS (not the the onboard AGP in my new system is the problem
    though). So yes, it works in another board (which is what I'd expect).

    While I suspect that these 2 pieces, vid card and motherboard, are
    incompatible (but probably fixable with a modified BIOS or firmware or something)
    I'm kinda hoping someone else can confirm that they get the same result
    when they try the same thing.
    No, that's research and product development for Matrox to pursue. I don't have
    that kind of budget.

    The only good thing about not being able to run the Matrox card I already have
    is that all that heat it generates (it runs VERY hot) won't be dumping in my new PC.
    (I direct a Zalman fan on it when it's installed, but maybe multiple cards, because
    of the heat issue, is not a good idea anyway).

    AJ

    AJ, Oct 12, 2004
  8. AJ

    Andy Guest

    I had heard that the Parhelia was hot but the 100, 200, G400MAX (modified
    with a Passive Heatsink) G450PCI, G400PCI and the P650 I have are all
    passive cooled and none of the PCs they are installed in have anything
    apart from the standard CPU fan and PSU heatsink fan. All are in use and
    many run all day/all year without a problem.

    This was on of the reasons I liked Matrox as I like my work PCs to be as
    quiet as possible. The children get Nvidia cards with noisy fans for their
    games :)

    The reason I mention this is it sounds as if you may have a problem, I do
    not know how hot any of my cards run as I take the view that if they do not
    crash there is not a problem but most of the MB run at about 15c over
    ambient (about 32c at this time of year) and the only blue screens I have
    had on this lot in the last year was caused by Pinnacle Studio being
    installed and 3 Hard disk failures everything else is fine and dandy.

    By the way you are right about the Stretched display on the Parhelia which
    is why one of my main systems is an G400Max and 2 G450PCI cards running 5
    screens (Via 133 Chipset though, I have not bought an Intel chipset since
    the BX days).

    Andy, Oct 13, 2004
  9. AJ

    AJ Guest

    Well did you every open up the case and touch the heatsink or the card directly
    after it's been on awhile? My G450 PCI is almost too hot to touch. I was
    considering getting a P650 card (passively cooled also) but that won't get me
    independent triple head display (not that I have 3 monitors anymore now anyway).
    I like passively cooled too. But mostly so I can direct a quiet fan (like the
    Zalman units) on the card. Those small high speed fans (like cpu fans) are
    untolerable.

    That sounds like the setup I want to achieve but sadly Matrox and Intel aren't
    talking to each other. :(

    AJ

    AJ, Oct 14, 2004
  10. AJ

    Andy Guest

    Most of My CPUs get too hot to touch as well but if they are not crashing
    they are working just fine by my standards. There is some argument to
    cooling HDs due to the bearings or capacitors due to the electrolyte but
    little to show any advantage to running a bit of silicon at 40c instead of
    60c. The silicon will last for years anyway regardless of temp.

    I like using the PCs I build, I have been building them from the days of
    the first Z80 I soldered together and even went through the super cooling 8
    fans on an Overclocked Celeron 333 stage. Nowadays I just want quiet, guess
    I am getting old :)

    As an aside all the machines run @home projects so are running at 100% all
    the time they are on.

    Andy

    Andy, Oct 15, 2004
  11. AJ

    AJ Guest

    I had the same problem with an Intel 865GBF motherboard. Intel said it was not
    their goal to support every video card under the sun. Matrox said it was
    Intel's problem. So I never got the G450PCI to work in my machine.

    AJ

    AJ, Mar 3, 2005