Mushkin 2-2-2 & P4P800 bad combo??

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ron, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. ron

    ron Guest

    Just built a P2.8C system on a P4P800 (have not tweaked/overclocked
    anything yet). I was having problems with randaom reboots while
    trying to apply the latest patches and updates to the OS (XP-Pro).
    After running Memtest86, I found out why.....my 1GB (2x512) of Mushkin
    2-2-2 was reporting errors. I have since popped in 512 (2x256) of
    Twinmows/Winbond BH-5 and everything is running smooth. I have a high
    degree of confidence that Mushkin was the culprit.

    Here are my questions:

    Mushkin is not on the apporved vendor list for this board, is that why
    I am getting errors - or is it just that I got some bad RAM. Will
    tweaking the memory timings / voltage help? (Keep in mind that the
    timings were set loose and I was at stock voltage for the Memtest).

    I saw somewhere that the P4P800 does not like to run at 2-2-2, but is
    better at 2-3-2-6 or 2-3-2-7 - Anyone else agree with this statement
    and why?

    Ultimate goal is to have a fast/stable machine for gaming & video
    editing. If the Muskin RAM won't work, any suggestions on what I
    should throw in this machine? I will want 1GB Dual
    Channel....somthing that could be overclocked if need be.

    TIA

    Ron

    PS The BIOS has already been upgraded to the latest version 1016 (I
    think thats the latest).

    ron, Apr 3, 2004

  2. ron

    user Guest

    my friend had mushkin for an abit board. his muskins were running 2.5V but
    the mobo was giving like 2.7V at normal operation. he in the end burned the
    RAM. the reason you are failing may be similar. it is not just timings.
    voltages are also important.

    user, Apr 4, 2004

  3. I'm having some serious problems with my Special 2-2-2's as well, on a
    A7N8X-D board. One of the modules is as flakey as pastry.

    Robert P Drake, Apr 4, 2004
  4. ron

    ron Guest

    I just got off the phone with Mushkin Tech support. Appearantly, the
    Mushkin 2-2-2 needs to run at 2.75V. My P4P800 runs at 2.5 volts by
    default. I am currently running Memtest at 2.75 (2-2-2-6-4) and all
    appears to be running without error.

    Ron

    ron, Apr 5, 2004
  5. On 5 Apr 2004 15:31:58 -0700, (ron) wrote:

    At least they answered your phone call...sat for ten minutes, left a
    message and never heard back. BTW, 2.75 isn't an option on my board
    (A7N8X-D), only 2.8v and Asus boards tend to over-volt. I did try at
    2.7, and still got errors. Now, I get to look forward to another
    hassle with actually getting it replaced.

    Robert P Drake, Apr 5, 2004
  6. ron

    ron Guest

    Yeah, I did have to wait on hold for quite some time with Mushkin
    (probably in the 10min range), but when I talked to someone, she was
    helpful. I asked her to send me the suggested timings/settings for
    future reference, and she actually came through.

    I ran memtest on it for 30+ minutes error free.

    Ron

    ron, Apr 6, 2004
  7. On 6 Apr 2004 11:34:00 -0700, (ron) wrote:

    I eventually got through as well, and they decided to send another
    module. I didn't want to try maxing the voltage out (not when its
    mine, that is) so last night I did set it to 2.8v, and it works
    without errors. My other module works fine at 2.6v. I don't want to
    damage one to get the other to work.

    Robert P Drake, Apr 7, 2004