Music from iTunes store won't play back from CD

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Melanie, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. Melanie

    Melanie Guest

    I bought an album on iTunes the other day and burned it on a CD - I have an
    internal Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D. I popped the CD into the car and nothing.
    I took it home and put it in my Bose Wave and still nothing. It recognizes
    the tracks but there is no sound. It doesn't play back on my computer (in
    the same device that created it no less). The tracks are there, the
    progress bar goes by, but no sound. I have no problems burning music I have
    put into my iTunes library from existing CD's.

    I have tried to burn a CD of purchased music using both iTunes itself and
    Toast 6 Titanium. When I drag the music into Toast, I get a window that
    says "Converting to m4p" which I have not seen happen with my imported
    music. I tried converting the files to AAC thinking that might make a
    difference, but get told you can't convert a protected file.

    I know I can run Wiretap and creating a new sound file, but that seems too
    much of a pain in the butt. Besides, you are supposed to be able to burn
    purchased music on a CD. Does Any insight out there?

    Melanie

    Melanie, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Check the iTunes Help center. Most CD players annot read RW disks.
    You can use a CD-R disk and burn it as an audio disk )about 20 songs
    per disk).

    You can butn purchased music only to an audio disk and only 7 times.

    Is your Pioneer supported? The iTunes help center exlplaibns how to
    determine whether your burner will work.

    Cathy

    Cathy

    Cathy Stevenson, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Melanie

    Tom Stiller Guest

    No; you can burn the same playlist only seven times. Modifying the
    playlist or including a given song in another playlist gives you another
    seven burns.

    Tom Stiller, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Melanie

    Melanie Guest

    This is the superdrive that Apple installed, not something I added, so why
    would Apple install a drive that would not be compatible? Or is that a
    really dumb question? I'm not using a CD-RW. Itunes help center doesn't seem
    to address the problem I am having. I've just spent a half hour winding my
    way through iTunes help and found nothing about determining whether my
    burner is compatible or not. If you know where it is, would you mind
    telling me how to reach it? I don't want to use up any more chances to burn
    a workable CD - that's $20 down the drain and will be an end to my iTunes
    buying days, for sure. Sorry if I sound sound testy - I'm just getting
    really frustrated by this.

    Melanie

    Melanie, Jan 6, 2005
  5. Melanie

    Tom Stiller Guest

    What version of iTunes? Did you burn the disk on the same machine used
    to purchase the songs? Do the songs play on the machine from which you
    are burning the CD? Which disk format (Preferences->Burning) were you
    attempting? Was Sound Check enabled? Are any of the conditions listed
    in the "I can't hear music playing" section of iTunes help true?

    Tom Stiller, Jan 6, 2005
  6. You can rebuild the playlist easily enough, and burn another seven
    times. At the least, the one time I needed to, it worked fine.

    Scott

    Scott Ellsworth, Jan 7, 2005
  7. Tell us more. What version of iTunes are you using? What were the
    burning settings in effect?

    Can you duplicate that? "Converting to m4p" is not a sensible thing (for
    the application) to do.

    That's true. But it brings up an interesting idea. You get no sound when
    you try to play the tracks on your burned disc, but can you rip them?

    The second part of that is not quite true. The 7-burn limit applies not
    to tracks but to play lists. You can just delete the playlist, make a
    new one with the same contents and do another 7. It's one of those "keep
    the honest people honest" things.
    They (almost certainly) wouldn't. But we couldn't assume from your first
    message that this was the stock optical drive in your machine.

    Gregory Weston, Jan 7, 2005