    than the hard drive itself. the bios options on the computer only
    allows for a boot up on the cd drive, floppy drive, or hard drive.
    thanks in advance for your help

    nick, May 3, 2004

  2. nick

    S.Heenan Guest

    If the BIOS supports booting from CD-ROM, floppy, and the hard drive, those
    are your only choices. Newer motherboards allow USB, LAN, and other boot
    options. You can try running Knoppix Linux or similar from a CD to see how
    you like it.

    S.Heenan, May 4, 2004

  3. nick

    Amy Guest

    As far as I know, it's not possible with Windows. However, there is a
    Linux version that can be run off the CD-ROM and using your system
    memory but I can't remember what it was called. I'm not sure about
    other OS.

    Amy, May 4, 2004
  4. nick

    Ron Cook Guest

    Ron Cook, May 4, 2004
  5. nick

    sceptre Guest

    I think that Suse one CD may helps you. NO installation, the whole
    system is based on one CD. Good luck.

    sceptre, May 6, 2004
  6. nick

    willah Guest

    It might be possible but not recommmended, for one it would be
    EXCRUCIATINGLY slow (think windows XP loading on a 4200rpm hard drive
    in a pentium II 400 with 32megs ram) because media cards simply dont
    have fast transfer time no matter how they're hooked up. Secondly, is
    cost, you would need around 1-2gig Compact Flash cards to load each OS
    (more if its a full distro, with source code, of Linux)and any type of
    flash memory is not cheap.

    willah, May 7, 2004