    system removed the heatsink clips... Can anyone tell me where I can
    find a replacement set? I have a 2.6 GHz P4 just waiting to go....

    Thanks

    Charles Gilley, Dec 7, 2003

  2. okay - does anyone actually have one of these boards (MX46-533V)?
    Mine has no heatsink clips on it, and now AOpen says, "Surprise, it
    isn't supposed to" Well, if that is correct, how am I supposed to
    keep the heatsink on the P4 2.66 GHz cpu I have?

    chg

    Charles Gilley, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Charles Gilley

    c Guest

    The board has the black bracket around the CPU socket as shown here?:

    http://tinyurl.com/ydbl

    I have not used that particular board, but have used other AOpen socket 478
    boards, and they don't supply the clips. I'm not sure if anyone supplies
    them with the boards because the clips or other retaining devices are
    dependant on which heatsink you use. I have seen 3 or 4 different
    configurations and none of them appeared to be interchangeable. Some
    heatsinks don't use clips, but use spring loaded screws that replace the
    ones that hold the bracket to the board. Probably not what you wanted to
    hear, but just my experience.

    Chris

    c, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Actually Chris, I'm thankful for every bit of information I can get.
    Your image is correct, I need the bracket that goes around the socket
    478 zif device. It's funny, Aopen says, "Sorry, we don't supply
    those." There is no way to reply back to the support post, so I'm not
    wasting my time to tell them to go look at their picture. Their
    picture *shows* the bracket. Gee whiz.

    Okay, so it looks like the mounting holes for a socket 478 mb are in
    some standard location, and it is up to me to find a heatsink that
    will provide its own motherboard retaining hardware....

    Thanks,

    Charles

    Charles Gilley, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Charles Gilley

    c Guest

    It may be that your terminology confused them. By referring to the bracket
    as clips, maybe they meant the metal style retaining clips. I am an AOpen
    reseller, and for a fact that board should have the square black bracket,
    unless possibly it was a "brown box" board. It is possible some of the OEM
    and refurb boards may be missing the bracket, but if it was a retail board
    (included software, cables, etc.), then they owe you a bracket IMO. I would
    try another email to them.

    Chris

    c, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Chris - good points. This *is* a brown market board, no question
    about it. I would think this would be a common part, and that they do
    break on occassion... I'll keep looking.

    I'll try AOpen again... funny thing, no way to reply to their reply.

    Charles Gilley, Dec 10, 2003