My 6600GT is slow as crap! Or nearly as slow.

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Damo, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Damo

    Damo Guest

    I have a 2.4ghz P4/512meg/ti4200 and used to get 50fps in the cs:s stress
    test with rez at 1024*768.

    I just upgraded to a 6600GT and now I get 24fps - and it is a very stuttery
    24fps as well. Very uneven.

    I have tried removing and re-installing all sorts of drivers, upped the AGP
    voltage to 1.6, set the AGP aperture to 256meg, checked in riva tuner and
    the clock speeds are OK 500/900. Anyone know what is happening? Oh and I
    checked the molex power connector is properly fitted as well. My PSU is a
    solid 350watts (not a yum cha brand).

    A quick google search showed a few others with a similar issue (on 6800s
    though). This thing should be running at least 4 times as fast, it does it
    in all games and 3dmark (the space battle on 3dmark03 was only doing 12fps.
    My system is clean and recently formatted, no funny tweaks were done to it -
    just a straight ti4200 removed and replaced with a 6600gt. Any ideas?

    Not playing games everything is fine, no artefacts or freezes (I am using it
    now). Core temp is 50 degrees.

    Damo

    Damo, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Damo

    Damo Guest

    Oh, I should add when I load up doom3 the frame rate jumps all over the
    place. eg on the main menu with the planet spinning it can be 60fps or
    20fps - it flickers between them quickly.

    Damo, Dec 7, 2004

  3. Damo

    John Smithe Guest

    Try going back to the windows default drivers and use Driver Cleaner to
    clean all old driver entries from your registry. Then re-install the latest
    drivers.

    Try at:

    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php?s=1f618d48094033d67214d207fd484bf
    6&

    Also get Coolbits or Coolbits3d from guru3d.com to help setting clock
    speeds and gaining access to card settings.

    John Smithe, Dec 7, 2004
  4. Damo

    MaSTeR Guest

    I had the same problem, I updated my mobo bios and from 24fps I get 70 now.
    Hope this helps you.

    MaSTeR, Dec 7, 2004
  5. Damo

    Rob Guest

    similar issues here with my 6800. im told it's because i have old pc133 ram
    and
    need to upgrade the MB to DDR type RAM. i've been working with eVGA who
    manufactured the card and while they don't necessarily agree with that, they
    don't disagree either :). big help eh?

    Rob, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Damo

    John Lewis Guest

    Did you downshift to the M$$ plain-vanilla VGA driver and reboot
    BEFORE removing the Ti4200 ? A REQUIRED STEP when swapping
    video cards.

    If not, you now need to use Driver Cleaner 3.x ( very carefully....
    print out and follow the instructions !! ) to remove all residual
    driver junk. Then re-install the 6600GT driver.

    OR

    Do a format and clean system re-install.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Dec 7, 2004
  7. Damo

    Bruin Guest

    Errrrr they share drivers with the ti4200's do they not? Seems strange to
    have to remove old drivers when they are all Nvidia drivers. From Nvidia's
    site:

    "Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
    Part of the NVIDIA Forceware unified software environment (USE). The NVIDIA
    UDA guarantees forward and backward compatibility with software drivers.
    Simplifies upgrading to a new NVIDIA product because all NVIDIA products
    work with the same driver software."
    Please no no no not THAT. I got 2-6800GTs on the way right now, one for me
    & one for me wife. My build is under 6 months old, 50 gig big, & I spent
    many hours setting it up the way I like it. Re-loading 3 CAD programs, 2
    CAD data-management programs, half a dozen games, EQ2 being 9 CDs... hell
    it would take a solid weekend to start with a new build. That is just MY
    machine, then I would have to do the same to my wife's machine!!! GAH

    Why should these cards be so different? I went from GF2s to GF4s without a
    hitch, no driver issues. Now it's GF4 to GF6... I am plan to switch to
    standard VGA before installing, but will I need more than that? Heck I
    need to start a new thread on this!! =)

    Bruin, Dec 7, 2004
  8. Damo

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Errrrr they share drivers with the ti4200's do they not? Seems strange to
    Yes they do, You should not really need to remove the old drivers, but its
    probably a good idea. Just remove them with the add and remove. Shut down the
    computer. Replace the card. Turn on the computer, windows will detect the new
    card and I believe will apply standard default SVGA drivers. Then just
    re-install the the Nvidia drivers and that should be it.

    You certainly should not have to re-format your drive...lol

    PRIVATE1964, Dec 7, 2004
  9. Damo

    Ed Light Guest

    On the nvidia driver download page it has a link "Installation Hints."

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

    which agrees with uninstalling the drivers.

    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Dec 8, 2004
  10. Damo

    Rob Guest

    My guess is none of this solves your problem anyway.

    Rob, Dec 8, 2004
  11. Damo

    Larry L. Guest

    similar issues here with my 6800. im told it's because i have old pc133
    ram
    Given that the original poster's previous card was much faster, his issue is
    not due to the rest of his system not being fast enough.

    Larry

    Larry L., Dec 8, 2004
  12. Damo

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    On the nvidia driver download page it has a link "Installation Hints."
    I've never had any problems changing cards without un-installing the drivers
    first, but I thinks its a good idea just the same. That way you can be sure you
    have everything installed correctly. The new card might not be detected
    properly which happens.

    PRIVATE1964, Dec 8, 2004
  13. Damo

    Damo Guest

    Thanks for all the replies - I wasnt about to format either :)

    The update is I have another 6600GT which runs very fast so the original
    card I had was faulty somehow - a very weird fault, but it was slow in
    another computer as well so back to the manufacturer it goes.

    Thanks again,
    Damo

    Damo, Dec 8, 2004
  14. I had some problems upgrading drivers.
    Couldn't get the 3d stereo drivers working after upgrading from 52.somthing
    to 66.something.
    Uninstalled the bunch. Even tried nvidia removers, reinstalling, no go,
    exact same problem over and over again.
    Did a clean install of windows and installed the 66.something again: problem
    solved.

    Also a 6800GT by the way, but the speed was excellent in every situation.

    regards,
    Marcel

    Marcel Overweel, Dec 8, 2004
  15. Damo

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Uninstalled the bunch. Even tried nvidia removers, reinstalling, no go,
    Those programs that are called Nvidia removers don't always work correctly. If
    usually do a manual search and delete for all Nvidia files, and a manual
    registry cleaning.

    PRIVATE1964, Dec 8, 2004