    of a day it may drift several seconds. Could this be caused by an aging
    battery? What battery would I used to replace the current one?

    I could not find an ABIT VA-10 manual that is searchable.

    W. eWatson, Aug 31, 2013

  2. W. eWatson

    -DirtBag Guest

    -DirtBag, Aug 31, 2013

  3. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Found the batter, but it's a bugger to get out.

    W. eWatson, Sep 1, 2013
  4. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    A little small rectangular piece along the side turned out to be a lever
    that popped out the battery. The battery is in very good shape, 3.5v, so
    now what's causing the slowing of the clock?

    W. eWatson, Sep 1, 2013
  5. W. eWatson

    Arno Guest

    This is likely just a cheap crystal. Sync it on NTP.
    You can check the battery level on the BIOS, it should
    be 3.2V or above. If below, replace it. Typically, it
    is a CR2016 Lithium button cell.

    Arno

    Arno, Sep 2, 2013
  6. W. eWatson

    Arno Guest

    Bad crystal. Did this turn up suddenly and was it fine before?
    Can also be mechanical shock to the crystal.

    Normal range for a clock-crystal is 50ppm deviation, which is up
    to 4.5 sec/day. A cheap one may be far worse, but not more than
    20 sec/day. If you see more, somethign is broken.

    There is one possibility: If the oscillator circuit is dying
    (overheating chipset), it may miss ticks and slow down much
    more.

    Arno

    Arno, Sep 2, 2013
  7. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    It's been going on for quite some time. I've been using Meinberg time
    software to keep it in check, but it eventually succumbs to moving the
    time may minutes, usually about 30. I'm using XP.

    W. eWatson, Sep 3, 2013
  8. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Interesting. BIOS can show the voltage?

    W. eWatson, Sep 3, 2013
  9. From old times I remember a clock delay when running debuggers or other
    privileged software, maybe AV software nowadays. This only affected the
    current (Windows) time, not the BIOS RTC. What's wrong on your system,
    the RTC (wrong time at boot) or only the Windows time?

    DoDi

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Sep 3, 2013
  10. W. eWatson

    Arno Guest

    Typically under "PC health" or "Hardware monitoring" or the like,
    along with temperatures and the other voltages.

    Arno

    Arno, Sep 4, 2013
  11. W. eWatson

    Arno Guest

    I assume Meinberg is an NTP client. NTP typically refuses to adjust for
    more than 30 minutes. Look into the options, there are two things
    you can try:
    a) allow it to adjust more than 30 Minutes or so
    b) allow it to adjust the hardware clock (if it is not doing that)

    Maybe you just have normal clock-skew which accumulates.

    Arno

    Arno, Sep 4, 2013