My bios freezes when I overclock my system. EPOX 8K3A MB

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Kevin R, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Kevin R

    Kevin R Guest

    My specs:
    Epox 8k3a motherboard
    Corsair 256mb DDR333 PC2700 ram
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    Thermalright AX-7 heatsink with a 92mm 64cfm fan and a 80-92mm adapter
    500 watt power supply
    geforce 2 GTS 64mb DDR
    Seagate Barracuda 40 gig
    Sony 10x8x32 CDRW
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ ethernet card

    Okay ladies and gentlemen, this one has really got me stumped. My
    bios froze on me one day and then I had to reset the CMOS to boot up
    again. At that poin in time, my cpu clock speed was 146; it had
    previously been at 170 for 11 months straight with a 80mm tornado fan
    but I decided to underclock it and run it at 146 clock speed.
    Temperature has never been a problem; My heatsink and airflow are
    huge. Temperatures of my CPU have been around 50 degrees celcius with
    both fans and clock speeds. The bios now freezes everytime I try to
    up my cpu clock speed from 133 to 146 (146 makes my cpu an even 1800+
    in quantum speed). The bios freezes after it shows the cpu and the
    quantum speed but it shows the wrong quantum speed. It reads 1600+
    but it should really be 1800+ because I changed the clock speed to
    146. Also when it freezes, there is no ram count but it shows the
    speed of PC2700 (146 CPU clock speed).

    Here are the things I have tried already: (in the order as they
    appear)
    change CMOS battery - resulting in the same freeze
    flash bios using epox utility - resulting in the same freeze
    change the slot that the ram was in - resulting in the same freeze
    change hard drive - resulting in the same freeze
    unplug hard drive and boot - resulting in the same freeze
    unplug the cd-rom - resulting in the same freeze

    Please remember that I have been running a more aggressive setup
    (2200+ speed) in the past with absolutely no problems. My BIOS has
    only given me problems now and I have tried all the above solutions in
    the past week with no resolve.

    Kevin R, Aug 5, 2003