    I disconnect from the Internet.

    Is it possible that a strong radio signal nearby can be picked up by the
    cables to the speakers, acting as an antenna?

    Steven L., Dec 15, 2007

  2. Steven L.

    Pen Guest

    Yes, RF interference is a not uncommon problem. This url is a decent
    description of the problem.
    http://svconline.com/mag/avinstall_understanding_controlling_rf/

    Pen, Dec 15, 2007

  3. Steven L.

    Ron Hardin Guest

    We lived next to a ham with a 1kw beam aimed over our house,
    and heard him a lot on the audio system. In such cases it's
    the fault of the audio system, actually. Some small signal
    gets detected where it shouldn't be, and then amplified by
    the audio system to a room-filling roar.

    Some work with shielding and bypassing can fix it ; if it's
    a ham, you can get the ham to help, usually. Snowplow workers
    aren't likely to be able to even if they want to. They're
    generally restricted to knocking down mailboxes.

    Ron Hardin, Dec 15, 2007
  4. Steven L.

    Steven L. Guest

    Thank you!

    BTW, I'm convinced it's the speakers themselves that are amplifying the
    radio signal, not the computer. I can hear the signal from the speakers
    as long as they are drawing power--even if the computer is shut down!

    Steven L., Dec 15, 2007
  5. Steven L.

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yep. I've seen a similar phenomenon with my speakers when using a Nextel
    radio.

    S.Lewis, Dec 15, 2007
  6. Steven L.

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    It probably is the fault of the speakers. This seems to be a common
    problem with self-amplified computer speakers. Every pair of computer
    speakers that I own will pick up noise from a nearby cell phone, and
    some other radio transmissions will be played through them as though
    they were the receiver!

    However...the computer could change the electrical characteristics of
    the speakers so that they become better receivers than usual. You
    might want to see if the problem goes away when the speakers are still
    powered but not connected to the computer.

    By the way...I'll bet the radios you are hearing happen to operate in
    the so-called VHF "business band". Such radios usually operate around
    400~470MHz.

    William

    wm_walsh, Dec 15, 2007