My DVD Drive wont read DVD-RW or DVD+RW

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Usagi13, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. Usagi13

    Usagi13 Guest

    Hi Chaps...

    Sorry if this is a bit of a long winded post...

    I have an Acer Aspire 1670 Lap Top fitted with a Pioneer DVD drive
    model DVR-K14RA.

    This drive is compatible with DVD-R/RW and DVD +R/RW.

    My problem is this..

    When I load a DVD-RW that has a file on it into the computer and go to
    My Computer in Windows XP it shows that there is a DVD in the PC but
    doesnt show how much free space is on it.
    I use an NIT DVD maker programme to burn onto the DVD-RW.

    Even odder is that if I keep the disc in the PC it will show that it
    has a file on it when I view the drive in my computer.

    If I turn the PC off and start again and then insert the same disc it
    will show the disc but now if wont show any files on it...

    I am at a complete loss. After checking the drive in the device
    manager it suggests that is working properly....

    Please help :(

    http://www.HardwarePlug.com - Gadgets, Computer Hardware and Electronics Forums

    Usagi13, Oct 31, 2005

  2. On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 05:08:12 -0000,
    Dirty laser?

    Edward W. Thompson, Oct 31, 2005

  3. Usagi13

    Quaoar Guest

    The problem is the XP doesn't have much reference to CD-RW or DVD-RW.
    It simply cannot read the files unless you have one of the CD/DVD drives
    that have UDF reader capability. What you need at least for CD-RW is a
    UDF file system interpreter; something similar is required for DVD but I
    have no idea what it is. NTI, since it can burn both formats, can
    certainly see and manage the files. It might be that once NTI is
    running, XP can see the files using whatever interpreter NTI has.

    The usual resource for UDF files is Roxio DirectCD or something along
    those lines. Roxio has (or had) a free UDF file interpreter for
    Windows.

    The following page will offer more explanation of the UDF file system:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

    Quaoar, Nov 1, 2005
  4. UDF is only relevant if you format the disk UDF. RW disks do not come
    formatted UDF as you imply. The WINXP native software will read/write
    to RW disks. If the disks have been formatted UDF by the OP then the
    requisite software is installed to read the disks.

    Edward W. Thompson, Nov 1, 2005
  5. You are both getting confused.

    UDF is the standard format for DVD disks [1] (both video and data). You are
    getting confused with Packet Incremental Format (PIF) in which disks are
    formatted in UDFRW (for CD-RW, DVD-RW and DVD+RW) which is a variant
    offering features necesary for PIF to operate. Current versions of
    Drag-to-Disk (Roxio's current PIF offering) auto write a reader to any
    written disk to allow reading on systems without Drag-to-Disk. Nero offer
    InCD to do the same job, but compatibility is flakey at best.

    Other variants are UDFR (PIF for CD-R disks - unsupported by InCD); UDFRDR
    (for DVD-RAM disks in Video recorder) and a forth variant for DVD-RAM disks
    under Drag-to-disk (UDFRDRM?), which is wholly unnecessary as DVD-RAM works
    perfectly under FAT32, and is also unsupported by any windows (natively)
    and InCD [2].

    [1] Older versions of Nero wrote data DVDs in the totally non standard CDFS
    which was not universally recognised (and dual layer disks were hardly
    recognised at all).

    [2] Windows XP will read UDFRDR but not write. It won't work at all with
    UDFRDRM. XP will refuse to reformat any DVD-RAM disk written in either
    format (but drag-to-disk will reformat both).

    The Electric Fan Club, Nov 1, 2005
  6. Usagi13

    Usagi13 Guest

    Thanks for the advice however I am a complete numpty when it comes to
    all things computer related.

    Could somebody explain in simple terms what I can do to try to resolve
    my problem.

    Thanks :roll:

    http://www.HardwarePlug.com - Gadgets, Computer Hardware and Electronics Forums

    Usagi13, Nov 3, 2005
  7. Probably nothing, other than to stop using RW media (which I'd recommend
    anyway). The drive may be defective, or it may simply not be supposed
    to read RW media, but either way there is no way to get that drive to do
    what it won't. Of course you can replace the drive, but .........

    However, seriously, RW media (either CD or any of the multiple flavors
    of DVD) shouldn't be used anyway. It's unstable, and the data has a
    tendancy to "fade" after a period of months to years. On top of that,
    it write slower, and it costs more, a LOT more, enough so that in most
    cases, even with it's rewriteability, it's not really cheaper. So stop
    using it, and stick with one-time media (DVD+R or DVD-R)(and "-R" has
    proven, in practice, to be slightly better in terms of reliability and
    compatability).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 4, 2005